Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Judaea Capta OTD  (Read 1582 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Judaea Capta OTD
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:32:18 am »
The reverse commemorates the end of the Jewish War and is part of the 'Judaea Capta' series that Vespasian issued soon after he became emperor. The coin depicts a Jewess, seated before a palm tree (representing the land), with her hands tied behind her back and in mourning. Clearly no academic interpretation is needed to understand what is meant by this reverse design.
This particular reverse is a much scarcer type than the standard Jewess seated before trophy. Possibly it was considered too harsh and was discontinued, explaining it's rarity. Was this type minted first and then the milder form of the design appeared?

This coin is a replacement upgrade for one I purchased six years ago. Is it better? I'm not so sure. The flan is oblong (but large at 21.5 mm), the obverse slightly double struck, and the details are not as sharp on the reverse. With all that being said, I like the toning, the beaded border is almost in full on the reverse (a rarity for an early Vespasian denarius), and the style is quite attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

RIC 4, BMCRE 43, RSC 229
Rome Mint, 69-70 AD
Obv - IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
Rev - IVDAEA in ex.; Jewess (as type of Judaea), draped and veiled, seated r. on ground, head inclined downwards, l. knee drawn up, hand bound behind back and fastened to palm-tree

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Judaea Capta OTD
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:37:15 am »
Here's is my previous example for comparison.

Struck on a much smaller flan but with some finer detail.

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:45:09 am »
I prefer the new one but both are lovely.
                                                                                             LordBest. 8)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:45:15 am »
Both look wonderful

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:09:47 am »
I prefer the new one but both are lovely.
                                                                                             LordBest. 8)

It was a tough decision, however, I'm consoled by the fact the old coin went to a good home.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:22:52 am »
This illustrates perfectly the dilemma someone's facing while attempting to upgrade : if the upgrade is not obvious in every way, the temptation is to keep both coins !

Should I possess them I could hardly decide which one to part with. But it's just me

JC

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:40:12 am »
It's an hard choice, I would have kept both.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:25:30 am »
I believe you made the right decision although both are very nice.  The broad flan with nearly complete legend is great. The reverse is excellent, with wonderful date palm/jewess perspective.  Now, if you upgrade your IVDAEA DEVICTA, I hope I get an email from you....

Nemo

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »
Now, if you upgrade your IVDAEA DEVICTA, I hope I get an email from you....

I just might have to take you up on that someday.  ;)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 02:45:29 pm »
It was a tough decision, however, I'm consoled by the fact the old coin went to a good home.

A very happy home.  Upgrade more often please.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity