Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gringott's is amazing  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
Gringott's is amazing
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:17 pm »
I am cleaning coins with Gringott's #1 for the first time and cannot believe what I am seeing.  On Monday night I put 20-something coins in to soak and about 15 of them are almost done.  Not just the big chunks either, I am seeing ear canals and pupils in the eyes.  Maybe I am just catching on to what everybody else already knows, but holy crap.  This is much better than the way I was cleaning coins.  So long olive oil, we'll still have garlic bread!

Justin

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Gringott's is amazing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:35 am »
Yes, but keep an eye on them, and make sure you wash them afterwards several times, thoroughly, in distilled water.  Pat L.

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:48:55 am »
It says it is a long term soak, is there a danger to leaving the coins in for longer than they might actually need?  I have already removed a few that have delicate looking patinas, is that the main reason?

Justin

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
Some of the guys are real experts.  I only spoke from limited firsthand experience.  It seemed to depend on what was eating the coin and what may have been done to it before you got it.  Anyway, it is a good idea to keep and eye on the coins and not put dozens in the same bath and then forget them.  Pat L.
P.S. the main ingredient is sodium sesquicarbonate.

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »
Gotcha, thanks.

Justin

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »
If you like Gringott's #1 or #2, you might want to invest in the Bronze Disease Killer, too. After a low-boil in DW and Gringott's, I usually wait a few days and re-examine my coins for any signs of bronze disease and always keep a container of DW with BD killer on hand.
And I have to agree with you about the olive oil. When I started this several years ago, the cleaning articles articles almost universally said to use olive oil and I wasted a lot of time and money getting minimal results. Then, I discovered FORVM and started talking to the cleaning experts and learned that most of the stuff in those articles were terribly outdated and often inaccurate. Can you clean coins with olive oil and rose thorns? Sure. But why limit yourself when there are better, cheaper and more accurate tools and alternatives available?
Best regards,
Tony

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »
Does anyone know of a European source of Gringott's. I'm sort of assuming that it's not practical, economical or permitted, for Forum to mail toxic chemicals transatlantic.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »
I think the source is in America. I had mine mailed, shortly after the Anthrax scare AND the package was damaged and it still arrived without further problems.
Andreas Reich

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »
Quite a few European posters in the cleaning discussions have talked about using Gringott's, so there doesn't seem to be any problems with availability, unless there are some local restrictions. I also checked several international sellers and there were no mention of shipping bans. No warnings on theGringott's label, either.
I think you're safe, Andrew. (Funny about local restrictions though. I have to drive to the next county to get over the counter sinus pills, unless I have a prescription.  ??? But there, I can buy all I need without any problem.)
Best to all,
Tony

All coins are guaranteed for eternity