Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republican Denarius ID please  (Read 587 times)

harv707

Republican Denarius ID please
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »

Hello,
 I believe this to be a Republican silver Denarius ( please correct me if I am wrong ). Any help on an ID will be appreciated as I dont have a clue. Thanks.

Regards

Mike

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Republican Denarius ID please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »
Yes RR. 
C. Vibius Varus. 42 BC. AR Denarius . Rome . Head of Bacchus right, wearing wreath of ivy and grapes / Panther advancing left; to left, garlanded altar surmounted by mask and thyrsos. RSC  Vibia 24.

harv707

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »

Thankyou very much for your informative and quick reply. Can you tell me, is this the Varus that led and lost the Legions of Augustus in the German Forest????

Kind regards

Mike

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:57 pm »
The Varus who was defeated in Germany in 9 AD was Publius Quinctilius Varus. The Varus who minted this coin in 42 BC was Caius Vibius Varus.

harv707

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:58:12 pm »

Yes. The penny had dropped when I reviewed the dates. Thanks for pointing it out though, just ignore my stupidity. Thanks

Mike

All coins are guaranteed for eternity