Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Edward The Confessor Moneyer and Mint Please  (Read 3290 times)

harv707

Edward The Confessor Moneyer and Mint Please
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:30 am »

Hello,

I have this small flan Edward The Confessor Penny that I am struggling to identify the mint on. I believe the Moneyer to be Lifinc ( correct me if I am wrong please ) but cant work out the mint. Looks like LNEII but I could be mistaken on the first letter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mike

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
Re: Edward The Confessor Moneyer and Mint Please
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »
I think you are right that the moneyer is LIFINC which is a version of LEOFING according to this thesis paper that can be found at the below link see the pages numbered 50 & 140

http://etheses.nottingham.ac.uk/1818/1/481170.pdf

Athought this thesis paper covers a slightly earlier period 1016 to 1042 it does indicate that this moneyer continued in the reign of Edward the Confessor in the mints at Ipswich, London, Warwick & Winchester, but I couldn't find anything that came close to matching the mint letters on your coin in the Fitz William Museum database (link below, search for type N 818). I did some other google searches and the letters EII seem to crop up in coins minted in Chester maybe the letters are CHEII ?

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/coins/emc/index.html

harv707

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:00:01 pm »

Hello,

Many thanks for your informative reply. I recorded the coin with the Fitzwilliam Museum a couple of days ago and was informed that the coin was Lifinc on Lnen, LNEN being short for LONDEN so is London mint. Must admit I didnt think the II was a letter N but the man knows his stuff and I know very little. Thanks again for taking the time to post a reply, really appreciate your effort.

Kind Regards

Mike

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:38:12 pm »
Glad the mystery solved, yes I agree I would have never of read that II as an N, it certainly seems a bit odd when you consider that there are other N's in the inscription already, still like yourself I'm no expert.
cheers
J

All coins are guaranteed for eternity