Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ring with flower,roman?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
Ring with flower,roman?
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:11:13 am »
I found this ring,but cant find it in catalogues ... Found on Roman site and i thought it is Roman,but my friends tell me its not. Can someone tell me about this ring? Is it unique? I cant find same like this one...

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Re: Ring with flower,roman?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:19:03 pm »
I don't think it's a Roman ring either but a Medieval Crusader ring similar to mine. Here's a pic of the one I just received as a gift for my B'day. It has been cleaned and polished so I can wear it.
"Barbarians.....do not destroy this earth!"

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:53:17 pm »
Its not same like my ring... My ring is more simple, and it looks more like flower than cross. Im sure this ring is late roman/byzantine. I just cant find same one anywhere. I need some ring catalogue or something.

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:51:28 pm »
It can also depend on the site location where your ring was found. It certainly could be of Celtic or other tribal origin. It looks like a four leaf clover but not so sure the ancients had knowledge of such. There is still a similarity to mine just the same, at least in principle. I haven't seen anything online about differentiating ancient ring types. There are so many variations and designs not to mention a span of over 1,000 years in which these rings were fabricated.
"Barbarians.....do not destroy this earth!"

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:53 pm »
First reason i like patina is because you can determinate how old is ring, and second because it looks more authentic with patina. This ring is found on Roman/Byzantine site. Mostly on Roman sites you can find everything from Rome to middle age because buildings were built already and people just populated them. But... This type of patina is mostly seen on early byzantine-late roman brass. Patina is light green/blue and i think this is brass ring. This on ring can be flower or clower but i dont know what it represented in ancient times... I need to know for sure. I searched to download some catalogue of ancient rings all over the internet but no success.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:16:54 pm »
I love to explore and dig in Roman sites. I now live very close to Caesaraugusta ( 7 miles as the crow flies). Already mapped some promising sites to go a looting
and metal-detected some unrecognizable LRBs.

benito,
I like how you say what others just may think! Though I know  some unrecognizable LRBs ain't your thing. More EF good-silver denarii...

Send us some photos of Caesaraugusta some time. I went to Italica a while back, great place.

Andrew

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 04:10:19 am »
Problem with MET.DEC. is that you never know what you are going to find.  I would be happy  to read in the papers : known collector benito unearths close to the Roman road between Caesaraugusta and Tarraco record AV and AR hoard . Hoard has been donated to the National Archaeological museum.

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:27:58 am »
I live near Viminacium, Egeta, and Felix Romuliana :) Want some pics of this Roman cities?

And can you guys help me with identification while you are here in my topic? :P

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:35 pm »
Early byzantine 5-6 century.Found similar but with cross 

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:07 am »
Can i see the one you found? Do you maybe know what presents this on ring?

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:58 pm »
Yes, there is absolutely big difference between medieval and ancient rings.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity