Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial hexastyle temple ID help  (Read 463 times)

a

Provincial hexastyle temple ID help
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:52:04 am »
Hi All,

Please help me to identify this AE28/12g (corroded and over cleaned) provincial:

O: Emperor laureated bust right. Legend around the bust. Final part of legend: ANTONIOVS. (Caracalla?)
R: Hexastyle temple with woman figure standing left leaning on rudder(?). Since the figure is standing close to left side of the temple door, I guess that there is probably another figure on the right side (Nike on column?). Illegible legend bellow the temple and around the temple's roof.

Best Regards,
Explorer

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Provincial hexastyle temple ID help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »
I agree that it's probably Caracalla.  For the city, the temple is similar to those found in Phoenicia.  I would try Berytus and the surrounding cities.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

a

Re: Provincial hexastyle temple ID help
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
Thank you Tom.
Probably Ptolemais (Ake)?

Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity