Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning suggestions ?  (Read 3008 times)

superflex

Cleaning suggestions ?
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:51 am »
I have been reading through some articles and watching some tutorials on basic coin cleaning but have been frightened by the possibility of ruining my coins. I am not even sure the coins i have attached need cleaning , i have been told that the Severus Alexander coin needs 'light' cleaning to better determine its authenticity. To me (and that is my novice eye) it seems fine, and cleaning it might result in damaging it or the patina , from what i read. The  Nero coin seems likely to benefit from some cleaning i would think?

In order to lightly clean the coins could i soak them in tap water or distilled water, them try to clean them with a soft toothbrush.

I have read that this would achieve little and would be many hours worth of time.  But i would be more comfortable with the safest method since its my first clean.

Thank you for any pointers  :)

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Cleaning suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:09 am »
I honestly like them how they are now.  You may not even need to clean these.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:55:19 am »
I would lightly, with tissue and acetone, rub the first. The concerns are that this is a cast with a fake toning. Acetone will probably remove this but not hurt a real toning or patina. If the toning is real there is no reason to remove it. On the second coin I see no detail that is obscured by the sand so I wouldn't risk trying to remove it.
Andreas Reich

superflex

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:53:37 am »
Thank you for your replies, if I were to let them soak in tap water and wipe them with a tissue would that be safe enough to remove any loose dirt without being a threat to possibly damaging them. I respect your comments and probably will not touch them on your opinions but as I am new to this I would like to know if the method of just soaking in tap water is okay or whether I must use distiller water, and whether slowly patting dry the coin would be safe. Thank you for your help again !

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:39:56 am »
Ave!

Well, who knew? Andeas and both on the same subjects.

In the case of the 1st coin, I'd go with a two to one ammonia soak rather than acetone, which is too harsh for this coin.

For number two, it's done. Wax and Flip.

Best,

kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:30 am »
I admit I use acetone regularly on bronzes, rarely on silver. Will acetone affect genuine toning on a silver coin?
If it is a genuine coin with genuine toning I wouldn't clean it at all but there is reason in my mind to suspect that it may be an artificially toned cast.
Andreas Reich

superflex

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:05:13 am »
Thanks guys, I'm thinking to soak it for a week in distilled water and posting the progress which may give more certainty if it is real.
Is this safe ?
From what I have read its the most gentle method. Of course I'll change the water as it darkens from any soil.

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 11:55:16 am »
The key is patience! The patina took centuries to form and your coins were covered in dirt for thousands of years. so don't expect a quick fix if you want to do it properly. (For me, the most difficult part was learning to wait and knowing when to stop.)

I agree that there isn't much benefit to cleaning the second coin. I'd just wax and flip it.

Acetone is pretty potent and might be a lot more than you need for the first coin. I haven't used diluted ammonia, but my guess is that it would need to be a pretty short soak before scrubbing with a toothbrush (tissues or papertowels are essentially worthless for anything other than drying) and a distilled water soak before drying. The distilled water will neutralize the ammonia. (Tap water is not recommended since it has a variety of chemicals that can potentially damage your coin, by the way.)

If you want, consider a good soak in distilled water (several days) followed by a scrub with a toothbrush and/or pin or dental pick (easier to handle, in my opinion). Repeat if you think it's necessary. Then, if you are still unsure of the results you can go with short soaks in ammonia or even vinegar or  lemon juice.

Post your progress and let us know how it's going.

Best,

Tony

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
 ???
Andreas Reich

superflex

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »
Thanks Tony,I might try the soaking method with distilled water to give a better idea of its authenticity. areich any insight into your confusion  :-\

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »
Why the confusion, Areich? You usually advocate DW and soft-scrubs instead of any method that can potentially damage the patina. Acetone is a little tough as a first step, wouldn't you agree? And I don't think lemon juice or vinegar is really necessary unless our friend doesn't get the results he's looking for. He seems to have some suspicions about this coin, and getting some of the dirt off looks to be he only way his concerns will be addressed.

Distilled water won't harm your coin no matter how long it soaks. (Qualifier: It may speed up bronze disease, if it is present. But better to know now than later on.) You probably won't need to change the water for a long time, possibly weeks or months in a lot of cases.

I'm looking forward to your posts.
Tony

superflex

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 12:04:27 am »
Thank you Tony i really appreciate the info, i am new at this and even basics are words of wisdom to my ears. I personally have heard of too many horror stories with intensive cleaning methods and although using acetone may not be intensive, it still scares me.

I do fully understand other members on here would have the skill to use it in moderation and in the right application. I have enough common sense to know that i lack those skills. Hopefully soaking for a few weeks may get rid of some dirt and give us a better idea as to authenticity. That way i can take the coin straight back where it came from if an issue arises. Plus i don't wont to give the dealer a reason to void the warrant  that i am entitled to demand by law in my country of residence.

Using a acetone product may give them that excuse, even-though it may also give a better idea of authenticity, i rather  not give them an excuse if not need be. If i do soak it and get no definitive result i may have to try the method areich suggests. Thank you both again  :)

superflex

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:49 am »
After a couple of months of soaking in distilled water and a light clean this is the result. Hope i haven't runied the coin  :(

i think it is authentic now from the silver tone as there doesn't appear to be a fake toning, but with that said i don't have the knowledge or skills to make that conclusion.

I hope that picture is clear enough, my scanner has been playing up.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity