Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Little coin with cross and II  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Little coin with cross and II
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »
Had this one for a few years now and cant figure it out. I dont know If im posting this in the correct section but If anyone is familiar with these that would be great.
 .7 gr
 13mm

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Re: Little coin with cross and II
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:29:45 am »
 Also it looks like it has 1421 or 1721 at about 11:00 on the obverse

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »
That's a dobler issued in Mallorca by Philip III (1598-1621), Cayon & Caston 3994.

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:49:06 pm »
 Thank you very much for your help. Cayon & Castan, Las Monedas Del Imperio Espanol, 1479-1713? Its a hard book to find. Do you know of any other references.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
I use the edition of C&C that covers the entire medieval and modern period of Spanish coinage in one volume: Las Monedas Espanolas desde los Reyes Visigodos ano 406 a Juan Carlos I.  As far as other references, all that I can suggest is that you search online for similar coins and see what they provide as references.

In doing that myself just a moment ago, I noticed that very similar coins exist from the next two Spanish kings, Philip IV and Charles II, and I really can't be sure which of those rulers struck your coin.  Sorry.

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 12:42:15 am »
 Thank you very much for your help. I have been stumped so you have nothing to feel sorry for , I am very grateful. Thank you for noting the book too. Take care.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity