Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Curious About My Hadrian Denarius  (Read 1092 times)

Offline kokoshawnuff

• Legionary
Curious About My Hadrian Denarius
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:15 pm »
After traversing though this sub-forum over the past couple days, looking at fake reports and the multitude of tooling that occurs, paranoia is now rampant in my naive coin collecting mind. I'm curious about this Hadrian denarius that just arrived in the mail from a reputable German dealer...

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Curious About My Hadrian Denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »
Tooling generally only happens with bronze coins... if someone tried to tool gold or silver it would be readily apparent.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline kokoshawnuff

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:55:40 pm »
Thanks, that's what I thought; I'd seen a couple silver in one of the threads about tooling and they looked obvious, just didn't know if they'd be too obvious when I happened upon one...

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »
After traversing though this sub-forum over the past couple days, looking at fake reports and the multitude of tooling that occurs, paranoia is now rampant in my naive coin collecting mind. I'm curious about this Hadrian denarius that just arrived in the mail from a reputable German dealer...

So, we know what you are saying. If you've read the related comments on another board, they also make clear that, thus far, silver tooling is not commonly seen from that particular source. Although silver tooling does happen, it tends to be tougher to do, and then more crudely obvious. That's not to say that recent bronze toolies from that source have been subtle - anything but - nor that I would rule anything out, just that silver doesn't attract more than usual suspicion. Of course any bronzes from that large, high-feedback German seller do justify extreme paranoia.

If you review the "Badly Tooled Coins Here" thread you'll find a range of examples to suit all distastes. Here was a recent silver toolie:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=53363.msg497511#msg497511

Offline kokoshawnuff

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »
If you review the "Badly Tooled Coins Here" thread you'll find a range of examples to suit all distastes. Here was a recent silver toolie:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=53363.msg497511#msg497511

That's the thread I was looking for, and reviewing the last page I see how obvious the tooling of silver is. Thank you

Offline vitellivs

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:17:52 am »
from picture - not tooled, but coin was in fire (in ancient times)...

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:47 am »
Regarding the statement that Bronze is easier to tool than silver..................true............however, a well repaired silver coin can often pass the experts eyes.

I will point to this memorable post from 5 years ago. The first post in the message shows the unaltered and the altered coin.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=38696.50

BR

Mark

Offline kokoshawnuff

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:16 pm »
Thank you both. And an interesting link 4to2CentBC, I probably don't have to worry about such an expert devoting time to 'fixing' up a Hadrian denarius, but good to have this in my mind when buying in the future.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity