Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 08:01:50 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Steve Minnoch, Varangian, casata137ec)  |  Topic: Tetricus ? Help with ID please 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tetricus ? Help with ID please  (Read 664 times)
oneill6217
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:49:05 am »

Hello,

The reverse is in bad shape. 

I think it is Tetricus I (or II) or Claudius, but this is a guess.  I can make out what looks like CIIVS or DIVS, but it's garbled.  The odd style of the radiate facing backward makes me think it may be imitative.

Any help is appreciated

AE 16 , 3.6 grams
Arminius
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:55 am »

Well, nearly every common possibility is listed in your post.
What helpers need now are some more visible facts.

I would soak the coin with machine or weapons oil for some days and then brush with nylon til we can see more details and some more letters.

regards

Eis aiona tov Curtis ep agathw Arminius.
oneill6217
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:51 am »

Thanks!  I will try it!
Tony A
Consul

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »

I would try a low boil in Gringott's and distilled water - with a long soak - before taking the oil route. Most gun oils have additives that may or may not discolor or effect the coin. Fine machine oil (like the kind you get with a hair trimmer or some electronics) should work, but probably not much better than olive oil. I believe the general consensus has been that DD or DD with Gringott's works as well or better than most of the "older methods."

But, as always, it's your choice.

Best,

Tony
oneill6217
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:13:19 pm »

Hello,

I have a few hundred coins that have been soaking in olive oil for about 8 months.  Will olive oil damage the coins over time?  I was soaking batches in DW for months and alternating between DW and OO soaks with mixed results.  None damaged so far, but most have not come clean in spite of gentle brushing in between soaks.  I will get some Gringott's and try that.  The best results I have had via long soaks followed by slow careful cleaning with a variety of dental picks.  I am new to this, so any help is greatly appreciated !
Tony A
Consul

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:41 am »

Olive oil won't damage anything, but my experience - which  seems to be the general consensus - is that olive oil is mostly ineffective. A lot of the "old timers" (or "conservatives" if that works better for some readers) use it because "that's how it was done" before there were alternatives like Gringott's. Some folks use vinegar or lemon juice on those stubborn, heavily encrusted coins - but I generally hold off on that for AEs unless Grongott's doesn't quite do the trick.

Remember, cleaning is often a long, rather tedious process! There are no quick fixes for encrustation that took millenia to accumulate.

Also, you might want to invest in a cordless Dremel and cleaning tools. (Did you check out Kevin's site? He does a good job explaining several ways to clean various type of coins with different challenges.)

And, if you have time, check out our discussion in "Cleaning" to avoid the inevitable domestic issues involved with cleaning ancient coins! ("domestic compromises ...") If nothing else, it's a fun read!

Best,

Tony
Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

There's no quick fix where cleaning's concerned. Olive oil does work, though it can damage payinas if the coin is left in too long. You have to be patient, and keep checking your coins regularly.

That's Tetricus I by the way. FRom the size of the lettering, I doubt whether it's official.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Arminius
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 03:09:54 pm »

My olive oil is not your olive oil and coin surfaces are also not all the same.
There is no general approach for cleaning encrusted surfaces, espacially as acidity and possible corrosion effects are dependent on a lot of influences.

Try to avoid natural plant oils as they may contain substances promoting corrosion or even bronce disease (organic acids, salts, chlorides, humidity).

Stay on the alkaline and dry side and control your soaks continuosly. A gentle heat (60-100 °C ) may shorten the cleaning process and help to expell humidity.

A brass brush can help or cause damage - trial and error.

Eis aiona tov Curtis ep agathw Arminius.
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:34 pm »

Olive oil can damage patinas over time. I noticed with my last uncleaneds that I had left in there for months.

Tony A
Consul

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »

I hadn't heard that olive oil could damage a coin before - so I learned something today! Thanks for that bit of info. In any case, I've found olive oil to be expensive and ineffective, so distilled water is my first choice everytime. (And there are several Gringott's mixes that have produced good results on a variety of coins - although there are no silver bullets when it comes to cleaning.)

I do know that virtually all petroleum-based oils have anti-corrosion compounds that can potentially damage coins. It's just not a good idea, in my opinion.

Your Tetricus has good potential - if you are careful! I suggest putting it in DD while you practice on some inexpensive uncleaneds and get the hang of it.

Best,

Tony
Tony A
Consul

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:08:56 am »

Make that distilled water (DW), NOT DD! Sorry for the error.

There are a number of cleaning methods and options available, so don't be afraid to try as many as you can before deciding what works best for you - and even then don't rely on any single method to work every time.

Check out the FORVM discussion in "Cleaning" and you'll see just how many methods and disagreements over methods there are! Some techniques and methods work better for certain individuals and in certain situations, but the bottom line is that it all comes down to personal skill and preference. I would suggest investing some time and resources in finding what works best for you. (And keep an open mind! There is always something to learn or new to try!)

Best to all,

Tony
David M3
Caesar

Retired collect as a hobby

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54:27 am »

I shoot mussal loaders and use a Natural lube to lube the patches it works very well at cleaning coins as well it is called Natural Lube 1000 it uses all food grade ingredients.

David V McCallum II
Tony A
Consul

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »

Interesting to know, David.

I shoot muzzle loaders, too. Natural Lube is great stuff - for rifles and pistols. But I would still be hesitant to use it on coins since some of those incredients - even if natural - have properties to help strip off corrosion left from burnt powder and preserve bluing, so I'm not sure what they will do to a coin. Maybe a good DW soak will neutralize it and not damage the coins long-term. I have a tube of it not getting much use these days, so maybe a few experiments are in order.

I used to do a lot of the Frontier Re-enactments, but they seemed to have died off in recent years. Civil War seems to be very popular, but those folks tend to be too hard-core for me! I don't have the time or inclination to live in a tent, not change my clothes, not take baths, or eat hardtack for days or weeks at a time. Plus, I could only afford one hobby and coins won.

Best,

Tony
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Steve Minnoch, Varangian, casata137ec)  |  Topic: Tetricus ? Help with ID please « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop