Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III limes or fouree  (Read 916 times)

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Gordian III limes or fouree
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:35 pm »
 I never knew the terms "Limes" and "Fouree" were different until an earlier post today. I have  many silvered coins where the corrosion has lifted the silvering. Also many where the edge is damaged and its easy to see silver over bronze. So its easy to see its a fouree. This one looks like R.I.C. 4c 129a
 Is this a limes and also and why would they produce a coin that replicated such but didnt have any silver.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Gordian III limes or fouree
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:24:11 am »
Your coin shows the typical old blue-gray coloration of a comtemporary white metal imitation. These issues probably had a silver like surface when new and didnĀ“t need a silver coating.

So it should be a so called "Limes Falsum".

regards

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:03 am »
it's already the 3rd specimen I know of this limes denarius

here is my own specimen

IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
SALVS AVGVSTI
cf. RIC 129A

it seems than those 2 coins are from the same obverse die, a great find! the style isn't like for the denarii of Rome so it's simply an imitation but I'm happy to see a second specimen ;)

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »
 It is so fun to see twins. I have 2 diocletian large follis twins and they are 2 of my most favorite coins.
 Thank you to the both of you for your help.
  Is the term limes falsium  only used towards denarii or are antoniniani included.
 Also may I ask: Was the white metal surface produced by it having a small amount of silver mixed in the bronze, then cast and placed in an acidic solution to draw some silver to the surface? Or were chloride salts used for diffusion to the coin? During this time the latter was more popular, correct?

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »
Citing our real expert on Romans, Curtis Clay:

"G. Elmer invented the term "limesfalsa", which is now usually applied to ancient casts of denarii."

regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity