Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman struck bronze of the day  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Roman struck bronze of the day
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:31:35 am »
It's a long time since I posted a COTD, but this semuncia is very special indeed. It's in amazing condition, extremely heavy for the type (8.06 grams which equates to an As weight of 386 grams for this semilibral piece, some 20% above the weight norm), and has a lovely patina. It's still just a little baby coin but a really beautiful one!

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Re: Roman struck bronze of the day
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:11 am »
Must be hard to find republican AE in condition as good as this!
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »
Wow!!!
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »
Andrew,

Could you give us the information for this little beauty, such as when minted, where, etc.?

Thanks for sharing!

mz

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
Andrew,

Could you give us the information for this little beauty, such as when minted, where, etc.?

Thanks for sharing!

mz

Hi Mark

It was struck 217-215 BC. It was the smallest denomination struck by the Roman mint. At 8.1 grams it is a large coin by today's standards - it is the same weight as the heaviest coin in europe today, the 2 euro. The design (turreted female head / horseman) remains enigmatic.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »
Very nice!

Ben

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
You indicated this is a "baby coin" and the smallest denomination minted by Rome, so I was wondering what's the diameter?

A very impressive reverse!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
You indicated this is a "baby coin" and the smallest denomination minted by Rome, so I was wondering what's the diameter?

A very impressive reverse!

20mm diameter, nearly 3mm thick, 8.06 grams. Pretty hefty for the "smallest" coin. The biggest coins of the day weighed up to 1 kilogram. There was a quartuncia (half this size) in a parallel or possible earlier series, but my COTD was the smallest denomination in this series.

The normal weight range for these coins was between 6 and 7 grams.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity