Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Galba Denarius, Fake?  (Read 1562 times)

lenny

Galba Denarius, Fake?
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
Hey

I see that this coin has multiple fake reproductions done, so I hesitant to bid on this one. I only have the ebay link, I hope that is okay.

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Thanks

ADMIN NOTE:  DO NOT LINK TO EBAY AUCTIONS ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD (THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS A NOMINATION FOR THE NOTORIOUS FAKE SELLER LIST). 

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: Galba Denarius, Fake?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:58:13 pm »
Here is the coin. You don't want to use this site to screen your bids if that's what you're doing. Joe runs a coin shop here.

Weight : 2.87gr

Size :  18.98

And yes it's fake. Not only is it in Forums fakes database you can also see where the copy stamp was removed on the reverse.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:59:00 pm »
Hi, my name is Ryan, and in the grand scheme of things I am new here. I have been doing this for several years now, and still feel I need to rely on the experts for coin verification. I will tell you what the experts are going to say. "We do not verify coins for sale on other websites, nor is it acceptable to post a link to *-bay. If you want an opinion on the coin buy it and we will be glad to comment, or if you want an original Galba that is verified and guaranteed for life buy it here." -I am paraphrasing, but you get the idea. I am thinking if you have any suspicions, remember to go with your gut. At the cost of offending some folks perhaps, I would point your attention to the reverse of the coin, where an abrasion between the C and S seems to be an attempt to obscure some writing...that is as far as I can go. I know this seems odd, but you must remember that this Forvm is part of a company that sells coins that are attributed and guaranteed, not to mention some of them have excellent provenance. I love my little chipped crusader denier, because it is ex. Malloy collection, and I purchased it here.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »
Here is the coin. You don't want to use this site to screen your bids if that's what you're doing. Joe runs a coin shop here.

Weight : 2.87gr

Size :  18.98

And yes it's fake. It's in Forums fakes database.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0
Sorry Romanorvm I must have missed the "someone posted before you" thing that pops up. I knew one of you guys would be on it.

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
That copy stamp might be a little hint that it is not real. But I have seen worse on ebay being passed off as real. If you deal with a cheat you get what you pay for. I am not saying all ebay sellers are bad but there are a bunch. Better to find out before rather than after.
David V McCallum II

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:49:57 pm »
...If you want an opinion on the coin buy it...

That isn't what I would say.  I would say, "If you need an opinion from a discussion board, don't buy it.  Buy coins you know are good or buy from sellers you know are good.  If you don't know either, don't buy."
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43:50 pm »
"If you need an opinion from a discussion board, don't buy it.  Buy coins you know are good or buy from sellers you know are good.  If you don't know either, don't buy."

The above is probably the wisest post on this site in its history.  I don't care how rich you are, expensive coins (like Galba) that are frequently faked are a really bad place to begin your collection of ancient coins unless you are entrusting yourself to someone who has the experience gained by handling thousands of similar coins.  As beginners we all make some mistakes and, slowly, we all gain experience that enables us to venture a short distance off the porch.  Perhaps, in a few years, we will gain enough experience that our opinions have merit on their own.  Until that time, we either take chances or buy only from people we trust.  Right now there are a dozen or so people that I would trust to supply me with coins sight unseen and every one of that number has in common that they have handled ten times the coins I have.  Even then I occasionally pass up a coin that I can not accept even though it has passed the muster of one of my trusted folks.  That is where I stand with regard to Joe's suggestion "don't buy".   

I do, however, believe it is fine to post coins to a discussion board as part of that learning process since we can gain experience seeing coins that are bad.  There is no such thing as a coin that can be stated as certainly good based on photos alone.  Photos lie.  Photographers lie.  I appreciate those on the Forvm who look at photos and match them up with known bad coins and those post might just save you from a mistake.  The big mistake is to take a lack of condemnation as a sign that you are safe.  To be safe, educate yourself; to be safer compare your opinion to that of people better at this than you; to be safest do both of these and buy only from people both knowledgeable and willing to back their opinions with a lifetime moneyback guarantee.  Do I do this?  No.  I take some risks and make some mistakes.  I would really like to know how many fakes I have bought in the last 49 years of collection but that number is not what makes the hobby enjoyable to me.  The fun part is the process of education.   If what you want is a collection of good coins:

"Buy coins you know are good AND buy from sellers you know are good.  If you don't know BOTH, don't buy."

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »
Same seller is selling this fake Pupienus. I posted it in another thread. He has several fakes mixed in with some real coins. I emailed him on the Galba and he thanked me and said he would remove it. It's still there.

He's not on the notorious fake sellers list, maybe he should be???

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=79867.0

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »
If this seller is selling the coin as real I would nominate them for notorius fake seller. The copy print gives it away.
David V McCallum II

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 03:08:14 pm »
Nomination please.  BTW, you don't need to ask if you should nominate a seller.  If you think you should, you can.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 04:20:57 pm »
Nomination please.  BTW, you don't need to ask if you should nominate a seller.  If you think you should, you can.

Joe you added him yesterday. I nominated him on a different thread for another coin.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »
OK, great.  Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 02:36:38 am »
"If you need an opinion from a discussion board, don't buy it.  Buy coins you know are good or buy from sellers you know are good.  If you don't know either, don't buy."

The above is probably the wisest post on this site in its history.  I don't care how rich you are, expensive coins (like Galba) that are frequently faked are a really bad place to begin your collection of ancient coins unless you are entrusting yourself to someone who has the experience gained by handling thousands of similar coins.  As beginners we all make some mistakes and, slowly, we all gain experience that enables us to venture a short distance off the porch.  Perhaps, in a few years, we will gain enough experience that our opinions have merit on their own.  Until that time, we either take chances or buy only from people we trust.  Right now there are a dozen or so people that I would trust to supply me with coins sight unseen and every one of that number has in common that they have handled ten times the coins I have.  Even then I occasionally pass up a coin that I can not accept even though it has passed the muster of one of my trusted folks.  That is where I stand with regard to Joe's suggestion "don't buy".  

I do, however, believe it is fine to post coins to a discussion board as part of that learning process since we can gain experience seeing coins that are bad.  There is no such thing as a coin that can be stated as certainly good based on photos alone.  Photos lie.  Photographers lie.  I appreciate those on the Forvm who look at photos and match them up with known bad coins and those post might just save you from a mistake.  The big mistake is to take a lack of condemnation as a sign that you are safe.  To be safe, educate yourself; to be safer compare your opinion to that of people better at this than you; to be safest do both of these and buy only from people both knowledgeable and willing to back their opinions with a lifetime moneyback guarantee.  Do I do this?  No.  I take some risks and make some mistakes.  I would really like to know how many fakes I have bought in the last 49 years of collection but that number is not what makes the hobby enjoyable to me.  The fun part is the process of education.   If what you want is a collection of good coins:

"Buy coins you know are good AND buy from sellers you know are good.  If you don't know BOTH, don't buy."

I agree, I haven't been buying coins as long, but I have been able to find 2 gems on that auction site of the masses. I was able to pick up a Clodius Albinus that Mr. Clay was able to identify as a rare coin, with only a few known examples, and a coin of Nero from Perinthos that is scarce, I paid a total of under $100 USD for both. There are treasures to be had, but not until you have the education to recognize such coins when they appear as unidentified Roman coins on an auction site.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 04:25:10 pm »
...If you want an opinion on the coin buy it...

That isn't what I would say.  I would say, "If you need an opinion from a discussion board, don't buy it.  Buy coins you know are good or buy from sellers you know are good.  If you don't know either, don't buy."
I believe I mentioned I was paraphrasing some posts I have seen in the past, I was simply trying to give the OP a heads up that screening coins through here to buy on E-bay is not acceptable, nor is posting a link to said site. Sorry if I offended you, it was far from my intention.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »
I wasn't offended.  No worries.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS