Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspicious coin reported in Portsmouth, New Hampshire  (Read 3299 times)

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Suspicious coin reported in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »
Btw, $2 notes are sometimes fun to use in the US

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »

I used a $2 bill in Cuba a while back and it was like I was handing over the Holy Grail. A crowd of Cubans gathered around and made sure I understood that this was a rare and mystical note, an especial indication of good luck, that would like be used in various holy or unholy rituals. They passed it around in wonderment. They knew about the existence of a $2 bill but had not actually handled one.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »

I used a $2 bill in Cuba a while back and it was like I was handing over the Holy Grail. A crowd of Cubans gathered around and made sure I understood that this was a rare and mystical note, an especial indication of good luck, that would like be used in various holy or unholy rituals. They passed it around in wonderment. They knew about the existence of a $2 bill but had not actually handled one.

I use them for book marks in my coin books. Our medical provider sends us one every time we fill out a survey. I hate to spend them so book marks it is.

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:07 pm »
      Back in the 80s i used to use them at the bar in Italy. I would get drinks for half price. I would go to disbursing and get $100 worth of them. You know, there are some $2 bills that are collectible, but most people don't know what they look like. I think they still make the $2 bill. The problem is that when someone gets one, they hoard it like it's made of gold. Hell, they printed the 1976 series note for 20 years.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

They probably never had a whole months salary in their hands.

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 10:43:30 pm »
I got a two dollar bill when I cashed a check at the bank not long ago. They used to circulate around race tracks because that was the standard bet. I don't whether they still do or not.
by the way here is an interesting article about dollar coins. This is from December but i hadn't seen it before. it seems that the US government has stopped making dollar coins. After making
billions of these coins they have run out of places to store them.

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/banking/u-s-stops-minting-unloved-1-coins/?ec_id=m1078093

All coins are guaranteed for eternity