Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valens/Jupiter Mint-ALE?  (Read 610 times)

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
Valens/Jupiter Mint-ALE?
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:36:53 pm »
        Alright, i know i'm bugging you guys alot, but i'm still learning how to do this here. Not easy. I think this is a Valens/Jupiter with an Alexandria mint. It's hard to see in the photos, but Jupiter isn't holding anything in his outstretched arm or maybe it's just a globe. That means ALE, Right? also, there are only two possiblities for a right facing bust on this; Valens, or Lucinius I, Right? I probably should clean this just a little more, what do you guys think?

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
Re: Valens/Jupiter Mint-ALE?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:14 pm »
Lucinius I RIC VI 105b? More of the Lucinius coins were minted at Alexandria.

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »
i see ...pop-vl... on reverse so it will be

GENIO POP-VLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae.

for mintmark i think that i see SIS (siscia mint) , that means that this is quarter follis and we have few possibilities :
Maximian Herculius
Constantius I
Galerius Maximian
Severus II
Maximinus II

for further identification try to read some letters on obverse and when asking for identification always give diameter and weight.
hope I helped :)
VonDrobac
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »
well, you know more about it than i do. I didn't really give everyone a good image to go on. it's come a bit farther since then. Perhaps tomarrow i'll post some new images. Thank you for helping me on this one. I'm sure that in a few months, i'll be able to just look at them and know what is what.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity