Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This is a denarius of Antoninus Pius. I THINK. opinions please! REAL?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
This coin is a denarius of Antoninus Pius, shortly after taking the purple, at least it is supposed to be. The legend reads IMP T AEL CAES ANTONINVS on the obverse, and AVG PIVS PMTRP COS II on the reverse. I do see flowlines and the wear appears even, no huge red flags, just a feeling. The reverse does have a spot that gives me pause, under the hands to the right of the handle of the winged caduceus, there is a small rough spot that is recessed. R.I.C. please if it is genuine. It seems a bit shiny, too shiny,and I cannot find a match as of yet, so I am a bit concerned. Width is 19mm at the widest point, approx. 2.8 gm in weight.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
I added some information and modified the original post, which was done rather hastily, so I wanted to give this another go.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Your photos are too small for authentication other than matching to known fakes.  That you can do yourself.  Did you check the fake coin reports?  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
?

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
?
Sorry, trouble trying to get a larger photo up, and yes I did look at the fake coin reports, That is why I am posting the coin. I wouldn't waste your time otherwise. I am still working on getting larger images up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
If real then it is RIC 38.
Bigger pics will be useful.
Martin

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
ok, one more shot..... Looks like what I gained in size I lost in resolution. I just added two slightly smaller pics, in hopes the resolution will be better.

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Those look like the same images but enlarged. They are unlikely to provide more detail.
We need larger, higher resolution images.
Martin

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Ok, the above pics are probably the best I can do atm, I hope they help. Up close, the coin looks more authentic to me. This is best look I have as well. The coin does vary slightly in width, as you can see by the fact that when placed on the scanner one side of the coin appears slightly out of focus due to this fact, after the scanner cover was closed.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
ok, one more shot..... Looks like what I gained in size I lost in resolution. I just added two slightly smaller pics, in hopes the resolution will be better.
These are the newest pics, (the newer larger ones above), and I believe the coin to be genuine. RIC 38 has a different legend however so this is not that coin.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Martin meant RIC 27. RIC 38 has P P on reverse.
Curtis Clay

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Thank You Mr. Clay, I appreciate your input. I am of the opinion that the coin is genuine, and the attribution is now complete as well, thanks.-Ryan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity