Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous Republican Janus and Prow  (Read 623 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Anonymous Republican Janus and Prow
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:43:15 am »
I know nothing about these so I am asking for reference assistance. I don't have the size or weight yet so hopefully that isn't needed to ID. Not the best example but but it was very cheap. I assume it's pretty common.
I have collected approximately 700 coins in the last 3 years and this is the first Republican As I purchased.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Anonymous Republican Janus and Prow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:18:31 am »
It is difficult to be certain it is very worn. As the I is in front of the prow that means there's almost certainly lettering or a symbol above the orow. I think I might see ....CR on your coin above the prow. In that case it might be RRC 210/2, Caius Scribonius, from 154 BC, similar to the coin below:

My concern with the ID is that = the style doesn't really match - note the very thich prowstem (acrostilium) on your coin, versus the thin one on mine, the thick letters, thick value mark etc. It might of course just be a different die engraver although style is usually a reliable indicator. Still I can't think what else.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:35 am »
My concern with the ID is that = the style doesn't really match - note the very thich prowstem (acrostilium) on your coin, versus the thin one on mine, the thick letters, thick value mark etc. It might of course just be a different die engraver although style is usually a reliable indicator. Still I can't think what else.

I'm going to further confound things by noting you may have an unpublished coin. I am currently working on a study of the anonymous bronzes of the Roman Republic. Whilst I've identified / classified most types, the below-pictured as remains as "unclassified".

The odd thing about your new coin is that (a) it is of similar style (see the very distinctive thick prowstem) but (b) is evidently different with letters above the prow and the value mark I in front of the prow. So if your coin had been in better condition perhaps we might be able to classify the similar anonymous bronzes by reference to the letters above the prow on your coin!

In other words, if your coin is C.SCR (which it looks like) then probably so is my anonymous coin below.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:31:37 pm »
Thanks Andrew. I knew you would have good info. The picture quality from the seller is poor also so maybe I can get a better picture and maybe see better details. Thanks, again.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity