Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Drusus under Titus?  (Read 695 times)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Drusus under Titus?
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »
Ok, little stumped on 2 ends but didn't want to double post here and authentication so sorry if my idea of limiting to one was backfired here.

So im unsure, but as I stalk wildwinds it keeps leading me to Drusus. It still needs cleaning, and my main concern other than identifying it is the noticeable flan thingy (apologize for lack of proper term here) that is extending off the coin. Does that send a red flag or is it common to see?

The coin is 25mm. Good deep green patina where dirt has cleaned off somewhat.

Is this Drusus and is the leftover flan, or what the extended metal section is called, accurate? Concern? Am I way off base?

Sorry if the 3 photos are difficult. Very rainy day so no good sunlight to use like I generally do.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Drusus under Titus?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:54:07 pm »
I think it's Germanicus, obv. legend GERMANICUS CAERAS TI AUG F DIVI AUG N; rev. IMP T CAES DIVI VESP F AUG REST around SC: RIC Titus 442, common but still, of course, an interesting coin Titus struck in memory of Germanicus.

Rupert

PS: The thingy of metal is just a damage done to the coin after striking, i.e. some time in circulation; you still see the hammer blows on the reverse where the word DIVI was.
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:10 pm »
Thank you so much for the info. I was unsure and the more I looked with my magnifier the more the legend was not matching. My biggest concern was the striking flaw, during my studies of fakes, etc, i know it can be a red flag so more than anything it is good to know it is just a blacksmith error. I was hoping for Drusus due to the rarity but I will take Germanicus as well. Anything in the large AE Imperial era I am a big fan of. It is fascinating to read the story of the earlier emperors from Augustus up to the Severan Period. One can only take so much of the corrupt Constantine and infamous Council at Nicaea period. So when I can aquire coins from my personal time period I consider my  "collector's choice Glory Of Rome" I enjoy the learning much more. There are some equally disturbing stories about those emperors as well as some good ones too. History one never knows until they research.

Again, short version, thank you so much for the help. Always appreciated.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:32:59 am »
Sorry, I just saw I made a mistake late last night; of course it's not CAERAS but CAESAR in the legend. And don't worry about authenticity - this coin is 100% genuine.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity