Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silver coin cleaning  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Silver coin cleaning
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »
Been soaking the following coin in lime juice (did not have any lemon ;D ) for the last 2 days, gently brushing it and using a toothpick from time to time to try removing the encrustrations. Some of it went off but there is still that big patch on rev., above the rose, and some scattered in the hair of Helios on obv.. Is there something else I should try (CLR, boiling with baking soda,...) ? Should I leave it in the lime juice ?

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Silver coin cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:18:58 pm »
The coin looks veeeeeery nice so far.

If i were you i would soak the remaining small encrusted areas with a small quantity of weapons oil and try to remove the encrustations again in a few months mechanically after boiling in soda (or forget about it and leave the coin as it is).

:)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:46 pm »
Thanks Arminius !

Yes, a nice coin (almost FDC I'd say) so I'm quite hesitant to "play" with it too much (and my cleaning skills are very limited...). Weapons oil... like in... weapons oil ? Can this be bought online (don't know where I could look for this around here) ?

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:50:02 pm »
If you know any hunters, or the smart guys from the "Cosa Nostra", Mafia, ... - or try this:

http://www.wisementrading.com/hunting/ballistol.htm

;)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:23:13 pm »
Excellent, thanks Arminius :)

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »
Perhaps you might try a very light mechanical oil, the type they use on hair trimmers or small electronics. Radio Shack used to sell it in a tube for about $3 and it goes a very long way. Also, if anyone at home trims their hair or beard, a small vial is usually included with the package. This type of oil is non-corrosive and there's a good chance it's readily available. Gun oil is quite a bit heavier and far less refined - and you may not have ready access to a gun owner.

You might have have better luck using vinegar. It works as well as lemon juice - at least that's the general consensus - and use a q-tip and pin or dental pick on the specific areas of concern. There doesn't seem to be a need to soak the whole coin, just some touching up, and it doesn't require an extended soak. Just my opinion ...

Hope this helps!

Tony

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »
Thanks Tony, might give it a try with that trimmer oil, I think I've got some :)

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:01:34 am »
The coin looks veeeeeery nice so far.

If i were you i would soak the remaining small encrusted areas with a small quantity of weapons oil and try to remove the encrustations again in a few months mechanically after boiling in soda (or forget about it and leave the coin as it is).

:)

The commercial name is Break Free, which does a decent job on carbon; or carb cleaner if that is still made.  But I'm not sure that would work on an encrustation like that.  Break Free shouldn't hurt the coin; carb cleaner might since it's a solvent.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »
The encrustation looks to me like "horn silver". It ranges in color from yellowish to purple to black and is hard to remove. If that is what it is I have had some success in removing thin patches of it with a cotton Q-tip dipped in household ammonia and a lot of rubbing. Passive soaking won't help. Also, the ammonia solution on the Q-tip has to be replenished frequently since the actual ammonia evaporates after a few minutes.

PS  Ammonia will also gradually remove the tarnish or toning from the coin which, however, time will replace. Don't use it with debased silver coins.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:12 am »
Well, I've decided to leave it in lime juice. After opening this thread, part of the large reverse patch started to come off. Final result (for me) below, with the dealer pics to compare. Some mild and scattered deposits left, but far better than when I got it :laugh:

Might just leave it to rest beside the window to give it a nice tone :)

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
Hi Minos

Looks like you did well. I suppose you got the coin at some discount considering the stain. Now you would not know that there was once a problem since the crud has been removed. A beautiful coin.

Regards, Dave

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:47:02 pm »
Thanks Dave, quite happy with the result (and considering that it's my first time...) :)

I suppose you got the coin at some discount considering the stain.

Let's say that I'm quite sure it would have sold at a higher price without the stain (and, maybe, with the correct attribution ;) )

All coins are guaranteed for eternity