Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: My arabic is not great yet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My arabic is not great yet  (Read 975 times)
Skyler
Consul

JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!

« on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »

Can anybody help me identify? its a hefty
 9.2 grams but only
 18.5 mm

rick2
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:34:21 am »

indian , not islamic

looks like it could be a coin from the sultans of dehli (but i might be wrong)
Skyler
Consul

JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:53:10 am »

Thanks Rick2. Isn't it fun guessing by the types of calligraphy where it might be from. At least its not in kufic. I'm stuck on all my coins that are in kufic.

rick2
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:48 am »

cufic is actually quite easy Smiley once you know what to look for!

personally i find more difficult persian coins with the couplet

anyway post some of the one you have we can always try to have a go , islamic coins are one of the areas i m trying to learn
Jim Roberts
Consul

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »

Rick2 is right about the Sultans of Delhi.  It's a billon tanka of Fath Khan with his father Firoz III (Mitchiner 2609-10) struck in 1358-88 AD, and it's like the coin shown at the very bottom of this page about Delhi coinage (a non-commercial site, as far as I can tell):
        http://coinindia.com/galleries-tughluq.html
The names of the father and son are located in the top two lines of the upper photo in your posting.  Very nice specimen.

Jim
Skyler
Consul

JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:09 pm »

I am super ecstatic. I was piling through firoz Taglaq coins thinking it was that era because I could read shah and firoz  at 12 and 10 on the obverse but nothing else. The link was most helpful thank you.

This was the height of Delhi rule at 22 provinces no? Does anyone know why the flans are so thick? They seem hammered in width to be smaller and thicker and then struck. Was this to retain Calligraphy over time? It is very bold. A bit of the legend is off flan. But not much.

Thank you very much to the Both of you. Have a great day!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: My arabic is not great yet « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop