Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM sestertius of Geta as Caesar  (Read 3235 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
A CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM sestertius of Geta as Caesar
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »
All sestertii of Geta as Caesar are very rare, because the period of his Caesarship, January 198 to fall 209 AD, corresponded almost exactly with the middle period of Septimius Severus' reign during which the mint produced very few sestertii.

CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM, Caracalla and Geta sacrificing, was one of the latest sestertius types of Geta as Caesar. A new bust variety of this sestertius occurred in CNG E277, April 2012, lot 266:

P SEPTIMIVS - GETA CAES, Head bare r. with short beard

CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM around, S C in exergue, Caracalla and Geta, both veiled and togate, sacrificing from pateras over tripod altar; the prince on r. also holds a short scepter.

31-2 mm, 22.58g, upright die axis, see CNG's picture below. Dark green patina with some dark red patches; rather roughly cleaned, but the CNG description was wrong to suggest possible filling and possible removal of drapery from the shoulders of the portrait. I think the cleaner made no attempt to add or remove detail; the reverse die link to the EF Vienna coin mentioned below proves that for the reverse at least, the details of the type and legend are all intact and original. And if filling was going on, why leave the small pit on the M of the legend at 10 o'clock of the obverse?  With the coin in hand the details look considerably sharper and the patination more uniform (dark green) than in the image.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM sestertius of Geta as Caesar
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:55 pm »
The three variants of this sestertius previously known were as follows:

1. Bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust r., seen from behind, otherwise like the CNG piece. One specimen known: Niggeler Sale, 1967, lot 1409, from an unillustrated lot of three coins in the Platt Hall Sale of 1950.

2. Bare-headed bust r. with fold of cloak on front shoulder and behind neck; the rev. die is the same as that of the new CNG piece. Two specimens known, both in Vienna; an EF example from the Bachofen von Echt Collection acquired c. 1905, and a fine but altered specimen from the Tiepolo Collection, which was put together in Venice c. 1700, published in 1736, and purchased by Vienna c. 1820.

A third specimen of this variant in Paris is merely an old cast of Vienna's EF Bachofen von Echt piece. Cohen, in his first edition, described the bust type of this coin as bare-headed bust r. with paludamentum, misleading Feuardent, in Cohen's second edition, to edit to" bare-headed, draped bust r." To avoid confusion Cohen should have written "with fold of paludamentum on front shoulder and behind neck"; and Feuardent, before changing to "draped", should have checked the piece itself in the Paris trays!

3. Bare-headed bust r. with fold of aegis on front shoulder and behind neck; two changes on the reverse, solid rather than tripod altar and S - C in field rather than in exergue. Three specimens known, all from the same die pair: BMC 839, pl. 50.8 (wrongly saying drapery rather than aegis on shoulders) and two specimens in sale catalogues of c. 1910-1930.

So in total, including the CNG coin, seven specimens of this sestertius are now known, coming from four obverse and three reverse dies. For a middle-period sestertius, that would have to be called comparatively common: most middle-period sestertii come from just one pair of dies, and quite a few types are known in only one or two specimens.

Contrast these numbers, however, with those of Geta's commonest sestertius as Augustus, with a similar reverse type of Caracalla and Geta sacrificing but with a flute player and slain bull added behind the altar, struck just a year later, but after the resumption of normal sestertius production: 105 specimens from 45 rev. dies were known to me about thirty years ago; CoinArchives Pro contains 31 specimens, a couple of which may be just duplicate appearances of the same pieces.

In the light of these figures, it must be said that Cohen displayed a lamentable unfamiliarity with the sestertius coinage of Septimius' reign, when he priced Geta's middle-period CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM sestertius at a mere 30 francs, but the common sacrifice sestertius of Geta as Augustus at 50 francs! And this old mistake of Cohen's apparently still influenced the pricing of the same coins in Sear's new Roman Coins and Their Values: the middle-period sestertius of Geta Caesar, no. 7212, $650 in VF; the common similar coin of Geta as Augustus, no. 7264, $1000 in VF!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:42:59 pm »
Two points about the reverse type deserve notice.

First, a type invoking the "harmony of the emperors" could be expected once Geta became co-Augustus with Caracalla in fall 209, but these sestertii were struck earlier. Geta is still Caesar, and, on his denarii, the change from bare-headed draped bust to bare head certainly occurred a couple of months at least before Geta's promotion to co-emperor. We may expect that the sestertii followed suit; therefore, since the earliest CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM sestertius shows Geta's bust draped and cuirassed, the type was apparently introduced at least a couple of months before the promotion.

Maybe the promotion was planned and announced in advance, so it seemed appropriate to introduce the Concordia type while Geta was still Caesar? We know that Caracalla, c. late spring 197, was actually voted the title Imperator Destinatus, Emperor-To-Be, before his actual acquisition of the titles Imperator and Augustus in January 198. Compare the denarii of Caracalla Caesar with rev. DESTINATO IMPERAT, and the same title appears on an Alexandrian tetradrachm and in inscriptions. There is no evidence, however, that Geta was given the same title before his promotion!

Second, though Geta is still only Caesar, he is obviously included in the word AVGVSTORVM on the reverse. This loose use of the plural Augusti to mean "the Emperor and the Caesar" first occurred in the legends SALVTI AVGG and VICT AVGG COS II P P on coins of Septimius Severus as IMP X in fall 197, before Caracalla became Augustus in January 198. Another early use is on the sestertius of Maximinus Thrax with legend VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM and type Maximinus handing Victory to his son Maximus Caesar, with a soldier accompanying each emperor and two captives seated between them; see BMC 183, pl. 39. AVGG legends meaning "of the Emperor and the Caesar" were then used continuously  on the coins of Philip I from the beginning of 245 until his son Philip II actually did become joint Augustus c. summer 247.
Curtis Clay

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:34:35 am »
Thank you so much for this revealing account of this period for Geta. One prince that has escaped me in my collecting efforts, but still of interest. Now I have an idea about the AE issue.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:11 pm »
I don't want to be unfair to Cohen: in quite a few cases he did recognize the rarity and value of middle-period sestertii of Geta as Caesar even when bearing fairly ordinary reverse types, for example:

SEVERI PII AVG FIL, sacrificial implements, 50 francs [3 known]

CASTOR, Castor standing beside horse, 200 francs (!) [1 known]

LIBERALITAS AVGVSTORVM, Liberalitas standing, 40 francs [1 known]

PONTIF COS II, Geta standing holding globe and short scepter, 60 francs [1 known]

CONCORDIA MILIT, Concordia standing with six standards, 80 francs [2 known].

In the case presented above, Cohen just made two slips: undervaluing the CONCORDIA AVGVSTORVM type, which should have gotten 60 or 80 francs, and overvaluing the TR P II sacrifice scene sestertius, for which 20 or even 15 francs (his base price for sestertii of Geta) would have been ample!
Curtis Clay

Offline bdavis33157

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:01 pm »
I just won the Securitas of Geta as Caesar - is this rare as well? Blake Davis

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:09:10 am »
Denomination, types and legends, picture?
Curtis Clay

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:22:42 am »
Very interesting reading you, Curtis.  It also makes me aware of my few Geta as Caesar sestertii which I will need to photograph and upload to my gallery.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »
Needless to say I will be interested to see them!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »
The unique draped and cuirassed piece, no. 1 in my list above, appeared again on the market, and though it had been beyond my budget in 1967 and again in 1990, this time I was able to acquire it:

Obolos E4, 21 Feb. 2016, 691 = R. Schulman 291, 1990, 1125 = Leu/MMAG, Niggeler Part 3, 2 Nov. 1967, 1409 = MMAG 10, 22 June 1951, 76 = Glendining, Platt Hall Part II, 16 Nov. 1950, part of lot 1745 (3 coins, without photo) = plaster cast in BM ("Hall Coll."). According to the Hall catalogue this coin derived "ex Boyne sale, lot 151"; that is presumably Sotheby, 19 July 1843, though I haven't yet confirmed this from the Sotheby catalogue itself. 28.07g, axis 6h, Obolos picture below.

A curious feature of this rev. die: a die break from the border of dots presumably to the edge of the die, quite clear at 3-4 o'clock, possibly also at 6 o'clock and 8-9 o'clock.

Curtis Clay

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 07:26:31 pm »
The unique draped and cuirassed piece, no. 1 in my list above, appeared again on the market, and though it had been beyond my budget in 1967 and again in 1990, this time I was able to acquire it:

Obolos E4, 21 Feb. 2016, 691 = R. Schulman 291, 1990, 1125 = Leu/MMAG, Niggeler Part 3, 2 Nov. 1967, 1409 = MMAG 10, 22 June 1951, 76 = Glendining, Platt Hall Part II, 16 Nov. 1950, part of lot 1745 (3 coins) = plaster cast in BM ("Hall Coll."). According to the Hall catalogue this coin derived "ex Boyne sale, lot 151"; that is presumably Sotheby, 19 July 1843, though I haven't yet confirmed this from the Sotheby catalogue itself. 28.07g, axis 6h, Obolos picture below.

Congratulations, Curtis! A rare coin with a great provenance.

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 09:25:52 am »

Obolos E4, 21 Feb. 2016, 691 = R. Schulman 291, 1990, 1125 = Leu/MMAG, Niggeler Part 3, 2 Nov. 1967, 1409 = MMAG 10, 22 June 1951, 76 = Glendining, Platt Hall Part II, 16 Nov. 1950, part of lot 1745 (3 coins, without photo) = plaster cast in BM ("Hall Coll."). According to the Hall catalogue this coin derived "ex Boyne sale, lot 151"; that is presumably Sotheby, 19 July 1843, though I haven't yet confirmed this from the Sotheby catalogue itself. 28.07g, axis 6h, Obolos picture below.

A curious feature of this rev. die: a die break from the border of dots presumably to the edge of the die, quite clear at 3-4 o'clock, possibly also at 6 o'clock and 8-9 o'clock.

Congratulations, Curtis with the acquisition of this special piece with impressive provenance.  It must have been quite a thrill to be able to obtain a coin nearly 50 years after it appeared on the market !
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 02:30:22 pm »
Well done Curtis,

Look like a double strike on SC?
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 10:44:31 am »
Congratulations, Curtis with the acquisition of this special piece with impressive provenance.  It must have been quite a thrill to be able to obtain a coin nearly 50 years after it appeared on the market !

Too bad I wasn't quite advanced enough to outbid Herbert Cahn for that three-piece Hall lot in Nov. 1950, when I was five years and nine months old and already in first grade. Cahn only had to pay six pounds, five shillings plus buyer's fee for all three coins!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 10:49:44 am »
Quote from: okidoki on March 19, 2016, 02:30:22 pm
Look like a double strike on SC?

Yes. The double strike is also visible in the slight break/discontinuity of the ground line under the altar.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity