Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tooled Vespasian?  (Read 719 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Tooled Vespasian?
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:04:26 am »
This coin was in an auction which recently ended - one which I participated in and lost, so my question is purely out of curiosity with nothing to gain. I wasn't heartbroken over not winning the coin because I have some nagging concerns that it is tooled and didn't notice this until after I placed a bid. I suspect the hair behind the laurel wreath, which doesn't look ancient to my eyes. The lines in the hair look like the type of classic tooling one would expect when hair is "enhanced".

Alternatively, if one would go to the trouble of tooling the hair, why not the laurel wreath too (which doesn't look suspicious to me)? Plus, silver is tough to tool without being noticed straight away.

Opinions?

CLICK

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Tooled Vespasian?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:08:15 am »
Also, the reverse of this one was pointed out to me by a fellow Flavian collector as possibly tooled.

I wasn't sure where to post these, if the moderator wishes to move them to a more proper board please do so.

CLICK

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:18:50 pm »
Second denarius tooled, but first one not, in my opinion.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »
I agree the first one looks fine.  I think the second one may be cast and the tooling done to the mold, not the coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09:57 pm »
Agree with Curtis and Joe, including the part about the mold tooling, which, IMO, is awful

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:41 am »
Thank you all for alleviating my concerns about the first coin and confirming them about the second.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity