Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus antoninianus  (Read 1477 times)

Offline L.e.

• Caesar
Gallienus antoninianus
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »
hi! this is my recent purchase. It has good detail, good metal, and heavy weight, all things that made me buy this coin.
Gallienus antoninianus 258-259 AD
Lugdunum mint
weight: 5,16 gr
Obv/ GALLIENVS. P. F. AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev/ VIRTVS AVGG, Gallienus, in military dress, standing right, ensign in left hand, spear pointing forward in right.
RIC 58, Göbl 882 L,   Sear5 10413

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Gallienus antoninianus
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:47 pm »

Göbl reference is 882 l (lower case L).

Pekka K

Offline L.e.

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »
yes, sorry!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:22 am »
An absolutely beautiful example of an antoninianus from my favorite emperor. In all my collection I don’t have an example that appears to be close to the silver content of yours. At 5.16 grams it is certainly unusually heavy. With silver having a specific gravity of 10.5 compared to coppers 8.96 I suppose an antoninianus with a significantly higher than average silver content must end up on the heavy end of the spectrum. Well done L.e. on your find, I would dearly love to have it in my collection!

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline L.e.

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »
thank you for all your kind words gallienus1! my collection includes gallienus period and when I saw this coin I had to buy it! the silver content is unusually very good (although I know that the coins minted in Lugdunum are in good metal) and the heavy weight is very appealing. I really like this coin!

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:55:05 am »
The mint is Cologne, not Lugdunum, the attribution to the latter being an error of the outdated RIC-volume V.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »
Very nice coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity