Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BBC's "Meet the Romans" with Mary Beard  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
BBC's "Meet the Romans" with Mary Beard
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:41:26 pm »
This 3-part series starts tomorrow evening on the BBC, hosted by professor Mary Beard. It takes a look at the empire from the bottom up and pieces together the lives of a selection of ordinary citizens. Should be interesting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ghsjx (Clip about Eurysaces The Baker)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: BBC's "Meet the Romans" with Mary Beard
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »
I highly enjoyed both her book and TV show about Pompeii...this should be good as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:35:03 pm »
Hopefully it airs in the u.s. sometime.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

rick2

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:11 am »
there was another programme on BBC4 talking about ceramics and it said that in the later part of the empire production of concrete and glass collapsed

i look forward to the programme

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:46:21 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17701080

A connected article from Mary Beard published today with a great interactive analysis of the tombstone of 11 year old Sulpicius, a victim of pushy Roman parenting!

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:48 am »
Nice Article.

She had one also in this months BBC History Mag. I believe talking about this special.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:42:50 am »
there was another programme on BBC4 talking about ceramics and it said that in the later part of the empire production of concrete and glass collapsed

i look forward to the programme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g98vb
It was a really well presented program, I'll might watch the second episode on Plastics.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
Quote from: Mat on April 16, 2012, 07:35:03 pm

You don't have to wait for it to be broadcasted over here. I use a program called Expat Shield which allows you to view BBC programs through their iplayer (the iplayer also allows you to download and watch them later). Expat Shield basically routes your internet browsing through a UK proxy server and can be shut off when not in use. It actually works quite well!

BTW, the first episode was very entertaining. Highly recommended.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:15 pm »

You don't have to wait for it to be broadcasted over here. I use a program called Expat Shield which allows you to view BBC programs through their iplayer (the iplayer also allows you to download and watch them later). Expat Shield basically routes your internet browsing through a UK proxy server and can be shut off when not in use. It actually works quite well!

Im on a Mac :/
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:34 am »
Really interesting program, especially how she made the text into common, understandable English. All I could find "wrong" with the program was how it seemed to jump from scene to scene where she would be in front of a panel, showing and reading it, then the next infront of another. My God, what a spoil heap that amphora shard mountain is!
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »
In the London Evening Standard, 19/4, "Londoner's Diary, "Her producer Richard Bradley disclosed Beard's three rules for making the TV show - no CGI, no reconstructions and absolutely no dressing in a toga".

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:34 am »
In the London Evening Standard, 19/4, "Londoner's Diary, "Her producer Richard Bradley disclosed Beard's three rules for making the TV show - no CGI, no reconstructions and absolutely no dressing in a toga".

For a no frills production the hour went by pretty fast. On a technical front, the camera work was awesome. I don't think I've seen too many documentaries with such beautiful shots of the city.

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 06:18:34 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VcMlQsrzE

This clip from episode 2 showcases an incredible communal tomb in Rome; I must find out if it is available to visit!

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
Quote from: Mat on April 17, 2012, 10:20:15 pm

Im on a Mac :/

You can also sign up to a VPN (virtual private networking) service, they normally charge a nominal fee per month, and likewise can be used to disguise your IP address so that you can view programs in other countries.

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »
Another great episode... great Taverna with hitherto unknown quotes from the famous classical philosophers ;)

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 11:52:10 am »
Does anyone know if a book has been planned ?

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:55:15 pm »
Alas, the last episode :( Great insight... and to see the carbonised furniture from Herculaneum, amazing.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 08:51:24 pm »
Its available on the torrent sites so I will be able to watch it, woo hoo 8)
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 08:18:07 am »
Alas, the last episode :( Great insight... and to see the carbonised furniture from Herculaneum, amazing.

I thought the "Barbie doll" was kind of neat too. A wonderful series all around, well worth the 3 hours.

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:56 am »
The carbonised rocking crib from Herculaneum was quite emotive and I enjoyed the look at apartment blocks in Rome and Ostia.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity