Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare ancient statue depicts topless female gladiator  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
lady Gladiator,topless
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
 Lady Gladiator,topless statue article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47088229/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Sorry,I see this was already posted :(
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: lady Gladiator,topless
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:00:21 pm »
Interesting article.

Seems curious that that no one, as of yet, can say definitively where the statue came from or at least how it made its way to the museum in the first place.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: lady Gladiator,topless
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »
That the statuette depicts a female gladiator seems far from certain.

I would have thought this conjecture deserved a footnote in an article on female gladiators, not an article on its own and headlines in cultural publications!
Curtis Clay

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Rare ancient statue depicts topless female gladiator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »
I read about this earlier this morning, pretty interesting & cool at the same time.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »
That the statuette depicts a female gladiator seems far from certain.

I would have thought this conjecture deserved a footnote in an article on female gladiators, not an article on its own and headlines in cultural publications!

I find many articles relating to ancient history must be taken with a grain of salt.  Many things that are reported as fact are simply conjectures.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:23 am »
A little late, but the other known gladiatrix artwork mentioned is this:

The bronze statuette would be consistent with the gladiator type dimachaerus (dimachaera in this case?), with the leather bindings and curved dagger. If so the missing arm would be gripping another dagger or a short sword.
                                                                                     LordBest. 8)

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:29:11 pm »
She might just be holding up a large letter "I" which got bent in the ravages of time ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity