Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thasos stater  (Read 1380 times)

Optimus

Thasos stater
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:41:40 pm »
The coin is actually much more pleasant in hand than it looks on the picture. Surfaces are very smooth, weight is 9,40 grams. Enjoy!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Thasos stater
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:46:57 am »
That is one of the least worn examples of the series I have seen. It looks spectacular as a posted image, so if it looks better in the hand it would have to be the last word in keepers!

Only thing is the nymph being carried off by the “ready for action” satyr is supposed to be protesting. She looks to me quite happy with the situation!

Best Regards,
Steve

Optimus

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:03:20 am »
How about these two? Whci one of the three you like most?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:24 am »
If I were the lady I would certainly choose jaimelai´s little satyr.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:04:41 am »
Gosh! It’s hard to say which it the better!

Hmmm.

The 2nd has a less archaic more classical style that is very pleasing but number three has that primitive elementalism that gives good examples of the archaic style such vitality.

I think I like your latest Optimus, (I like the cheeky smile on the nymph) though all of them would be great additions to any collection.

Best Regards,
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity