Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: To wax or not to wax...  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Fallen Horseman

• Praetorian
To wax or not to wax...
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:49:05 pm »
Hello friends!

I'm new to these boards but have been collecting and cleaning ancient coins for about 8 months now and adore any old coin I can get my hands on. Figured it was time I joined these boards rather than just lurking on them.  :P
Anyways, I have a question that I've heard go both ways and wanted to get your opinion on if you'd be so kind....

How do you feel about putting renaissance wax on your coins? I just got a small bottle and am going to test it out on a slug just to see a before / after.

Is it just a matter of preference?

Does it do anything to help / hinder the aesthetic or market value of the coins?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  ;D

Thanks everyone!

Chris
"I am King of the Romans and above grammar."

~ Sigismund

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: To wax or not to wax...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »
Welcome,

Well that is the question isn't it?  Personally I wax my coins.  I see it as a perfectly acceptable way to maintain my coins because it can be undone.  It's a simple process to remove the wax.  I view the wax as another protection against BD and it also makes the coins look a bit deeper especially coins that have been cleaned.  Bottom line is wax will not harm your coins and most coins on the market are waxed.

Offline Fallen Horseman

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:43 pm »
Huh... I actually had no idea the process could be undone! Many thanks!  :) I just tried it out actually on a standard issue Constantius II Fallen horsemen and really like the results as well.  Guess I'll be doing this alot in the coming days. Thanks again!

~ Sigismund

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:38:31 am »
I think 'most coins on the market are waxed' is a very bold statement. I have sometimes bought coins that were waxed but luckily that's a small minority.
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:37:45 am »
I happily use renwax on many coins that I keep in my collection, and usually not on coins that I eventually will let go.  I definitely agree with the "protection against BD argument" as, (so far), I haven't had a single coin that I have waxed succumb to the disease.  I have also had great success melting renwax onto fragile patinas and it appears to strengthen the matrix of the coin stopping further flaking.  If applied carefully, you don't necessarily need to buff it to a shine, you can just leave it as a really thin matt finish on the coin.  And yes, it usually does appear to "deepen" the coin.

However, even I sometimes think that using renwax is not needed, or even wanted. If the coin already has a beautiful smooth patina with great detail, it is not necessary to us renwax.

Also, be aware that if a coin is renwaxed and then polished, it can be very tricky to photograph nicely.

Finally, it is stated that it is easily removable, and that is true is most cases.  However, if you put renwax onto a soft blue patina coin, or a slightly powdery green patina (not BD) coin, then removal can also significantly remove the patina.  If the payoff is that the coin is protected, then maybe that is OK, however if you are planning on moving the coin on then I think you should avoid waxing it.

regards

Mark

Offline Bobicus

• Praetorian
  • He drank too deep from the draught of philosophy.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:32:10 am »
Thought I would add in my 2 cents about waxing.  In general I think waxing makes most lower grade bronze look better, so I usually do it in this case.  It doesn't seem to do anything positive or negative to better bronze or silver.

One drawback of waxing is that it make the photography of the coin quite a bit harder because the wax reflects light and causes glare.
They create a desert and call it prosperity.

Offline Fallen Horseman

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »
I did notice the photography frustrations on a Constans I was trying to get a picture of yesterday.... So it's a catch 22. It looks better but you can't show it off! :P

Note to self: Photograph, THEN wax!

~ Sigismund

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »
One more vote for Waxing.

Protection, Protection and Protection.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity