Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan Decius sestertius  (Read 1108 times)

Offline L.e.

• Caesar
Trajan Decius sestertius
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »
hi to everybody! this is my new acquisition, a Trajan Decius sestertius with the two Pannoniae. Obverse /IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG laureate & draped bust right / PANNONIAE S-C, The two Pannoniae standing side by side, holding standards. RIC 124a, Cohen 87. weight:17,24 gr. 28 mm.
the photo is not best, with coin in hand you can see some of the beard near the mouth and chin.

thanks for your opinion!

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Trajan Decius sestertius
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:40 am »
The coin is well struck which is not always the case with this period.  I hope you will work on making a photograph that does the coin justice. 

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
I like the look of your sestertius very much L.e. It has a great patina and a highly interesting reverse that would have been very politically significant in this emperor’s time.

I know it can be frustrating when the photographed image doesn’t seem to catch the “magic” in an ancient coin. The color of the patina on your coin is very appealing but I believe the different colors irregularly spread of the surface of a coin like yours distracts the human eye from some of the preserved details. A possible solution is photographing the coin in light with some colors filtered out or simply draining the color of a digital image using a program like Photoshop. Details can also sometimes be seen more easily when the light strikes the coins surface at a shallow angle.

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:39:20 pm »
Nice!

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:11:28 pm »
Hi L.e.,

nice coin...do you want to try to get the green spots away?

Regards
kc

Offline L.e.

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »
hi! thanks for your suggestions gallienus1, I'll try to make better photos!
what green spots, kc? there is only light green patin under a darker green patina.
thanks to all for your comments!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity