Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does this coin have early bronze disease?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Bobicus

• Praetorian
  • He drank too deep from the draught of philosophy.
Does this coin have early bronze disease?
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:03:37 pm »
A question for everyone, Does this coin have an early case of bronze disease.  In particular on the reverse between the 10 and 11 hours.  This area was sticky, the obverse over Commodus was also sticky and both would bead water. 

Ideas I have about what is going on are:
a) Early bronze disease
b) Crap left over from cleaning (I did not clean this one, I bought it as is)
c) The plastic in the flip it was in broke down into more basic materials.

I don't want to treat for bd if I don't have to, but if I do, I want to get an early start.

Thanks
They create a desert and call it prosperity.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Does this coin have early bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:18:59 pm »
I don't think it looks like active bronze disease.  It might have been treated earlier but I'm not entirely sure.  I would recommend keeping an eye on it and, if it does break out (remember it will be powdery and come off easily) only then treat it.

Nick

gavignano

Re: Does this coin have early bronze disease?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »
I don't think its bronze disease either. whatever was there prior to cleaning was the culprit.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity