Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: THE ARRANGEMENT OF THE LONDON MINT BEATA ISSUES IN RIC VII  (Read 1222 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
THE ARRANGEMENT OF THE LONDON MINT BEATA ISSUES IN RIC VII
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:14 pm »
THE ARRANGEMENT OF THE LONDON MINT BEATA ISSUES IN RIC VII

I have recently been studying these issues and have come across the following apparent discrepancy in RIC.
The catalogue of RIC VII (pages 110-115) gives the following sequence of the BEATA/BEAT issues:

P/A//PLON (BEATA)then PLON (BEATA) then F/B//PLON (BEAT)and finally PLON (BEAT)

But the text (page 96) gives the following order:

PLON (BEATA) then P/A//PLON then F/B//PLON and finally PLON (BEAT)

I haven’t got the references referred to in the notes of the text to check against, but if I haven’t misread anything, this is a significant error and I can’t recall coming across anyone noting this error before. I think that RIC 199-219 should really be placed between RIC 237 and RIC 238 assuming that the text is correct rather than the catalogue.

If this is correct it would make more sense to me as RIC 217-219 could then be explained by the crossover from the longer to the shorter reverse legends unless, of course, they were actually F/B examples that were mis-catalogued.

I asked Curtis Clay about this issue and he added the following: “I agree:  if RIC 217-219 are correctly reported, they should indicate that P/A//PLON is the last BEATA issue, and therefore follows rather than preceding PLON/BEATA, as Bruun himself states in the introduction.”

He went on to say “I hadn't noticed this discrepancy before, but am sure others must have done so!” I felt that as well but I then checked the reports of the Cae Bardd and Durrington II hoards. The discrepancy is not noted in either of those. Has anyone else come across this issue before?Curtis also said “Offhand I don't see any strong evidence for the correct order of the two issues with BEAT, namely F/B//PLON and PLON.  There is the new obv. 7a in PLON, but it's rather rare so not a strong argument.”

In the Cae Bardd and Durrington II hoards there were no examples of the 7a legend. But they both record the BEAT :dot:TRAN  :dot:QLITAS variants for all emperor/sons for the BEAT/PLON issue. None of these variants are recorded for earlier issues. I suspect it should remain F/B//PLON followed by PLON. I am not sure what Bruun's original evidence was, though.

Finally, for completeness, I think I should repeat an earlier remark by Curtis about RIC 215-6:
"RIC 215-6 are the last listings for the BEATA TRA-NQVILLITAS type of RIC 199-216, not a new variant with BEAT only. So the introduction, p. 96, names two versions of this type only, BEATA TRANQVILLITAS and BEAT TRANQLITAS, with no mention of the alleged BEAT TRANQVILLITAS version of RIC 215-6. The same in Voetter's Gerin cat., pp. 156-8; no BEAT TRANQVILLITAS, though RIC 216 with this alleged legend is stated to be very common (c3)! According to RIC, BEATA TRANQVILLITAS does not occur for Constantine II in this issue, but Voetter no. 5 indeed lists it for him. Voetter 5 is clearly the same as RIC 216, with BEATA not BEAT"

Therefore, simply a typo, a missing A in RIC!

Grateful for any comments,

Lee

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: THE ARRANGEMENT OF THE LONDON MINT BEATA ISSUES IN RIC VII
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:45 am »
Hi Lee,

I address this question in a forthcoming article in Numismatic Circular for May 2012. Without going over the arguments I use there I believe the order is

PLON
P/A//PLON
PLON
F/B/PLON

I have low res pdfs which i can send to anyone interested. Hopefully I will get high-res ones in a while.

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: THE ARRANGEMENT OF THE LONDON MINT BEATA ISSUES IN RIC VII
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:36 am »
Hi Adrian

My London mint articles (including the argument outlined above) are available for downloading here  http://www.hookmoor.com/home/?page_id=39

If you would like your article to be available on this page as well, send a high res pdf and I can upload it, making sure your authorship is clearly acknowledged.

As regards the ordering of the BEATA/BEAT issues at London, I look forward to discussing this with you  ;)

Cheers

Lee

All coins are guaranteed for eternity