Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown celtic silver?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Unknown celtic silver?
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:44:42 am »
 I posted this in the identification section first. Maybe someone here can help?
 14 mm
 1.8 gr

taurisker

Re: Unknown celtic silver?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:07 pm »
No match in my catalogs (Dembski Coll. KHM, Göbl OTA+Noricum, Pink Ostkelten) discovered, I´m sorry.
From the style I think it´s a coin by the eastern celts, never seen a similar type before. But this means nothing, celtic coinage is always good for surprises in new and unknown types. Maybe the coin is not listed. Any clue where it comes from? The locality would be interesting. Can you see what the reverse shows? Probably this is a horse left? I think, I can see a horse when I flip the coin-pic 180 degrees. Important question: do you think the coin is genuine? This is hard to say only from pics.

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Re: Unknown celtic silver?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:29:16 am »
 Hello Taurisker and thank you for your time. I unfortunately do not know where it was found. Ac search has one similar that says it's an unrecorded type but gives a BMC S 140 http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=490959  so I'm guessing its in their catalog of Celtic coins but I don't have that one.
 I also cannot guarantee authenticity. Under a microscope it appears weathered but im no expert. I hopefully will have my new lens for my camera tomorrow and can take a better pic to post in the authentication section. Thank you again and have a great day!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity