Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarce RR. Amphitrite and Neptune.  (Read 1536 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Scarce RR. Amphitrite and Neptune.
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:49 am »
AR denarius. 72 BC. 3,78 grs. Bust of Amphitrite right,seen from behind letter C before, symbol (crab) behind / Neptune,brandishing trident, in sea chariot right,drawn by two hippocamps,above C.
Q.CREPER.M.F. / ROCVS in two lines below.
Craw 399/1b. RSC Crepereia 1. CNR Crepereia 2/3.
Enjoy.

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
Re: Scarce RR. Amphitrite and Neptune.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:13:54 am »
Nice, Benito! I must say, you've got a fascinating collection of republicans!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:32:36 am »
You have a truly delightful coin Benito, with both obverse and reverse images combining clarity and grace to attract the holder’s eye. A small masterpiece of design!

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:20:43 am »
Not for me to say   :-[ ,but a gem of a coin.
RR coinage offers variety, history, law, mythology. etc...etc...
If the Crepereia is mainly mythology the Coelia   https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-79446
contains a nice mix of history and Roman law .  And two nice portraits .
Go for RRs.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »
AR denarius. 72 BC. 3,78 grs. Bust of Amphitrite right,seen from behind letter C before, symbol (crab) behind / Neptune,brandishing trident, in sea chariot right,drawn by two hippocamps,above C.
Q.CREPER.M.F. / ROCVS in two lines below.
Craw 399/1b. RSC Crepereia 1. CNR Crepereia 2/3.
Enjoy.

Lovely. Here's an Amphitrite and Neptune decorating my patio garden  ;)

And my picture description:
"The House of Neptune and Amphitrite has a garden room in place of the usual peristyle, richly decorated with mosaics. It's not a huge house, which explains its non standard arrangements - there's no room for a peristyle - but the quality of the mosaics and general decorative standard indicates a wealthy proprietor. On one wall of the garden court are some recessed areas perhaps for statues or Lares, with mosaics of dogs and stags surrounding, and above them theatre masks. The garden court wall mosaics use pieces of glass to give the vivid colours and reflect light, and thus are brighter and more colourful than more robust floor mosaics made of tile. That of Neptune and Amphitrite his consort is oddly named. The Roman names should be Neptune and Salacia or Greek Poseidon and Amphitrite, but it's very nautical in any event with brights sea shell surrounds and predominantly sea blue, a colour that doesn't appear much on Vesuvaian walls. There is a rare and elegantly engraved Roman coin with the same types usually named thus, Neptune in a biga of hippocamps and Amphitrite with behind her a squid, minted by one Crepereius in 69BC. Fishy."

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:41:25 am »
That's a nice patio fountain. But it doesn't beat my swimming pool decoration.  ;)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:28 am »
That's a nice patio fountain. But it doesn't beat my swimming pool decoration.  ;)

Is that actually modelled on you and Mrs Benito? :D  (They nearly got your beard, and your wife's blonde hair, right at least!)
regards
Mark

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:37:13 am »
That´s rather personal. Wish my uxor was like that. She looks more like my avatar.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 05:10:27 am »

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:19:47 am »
This type is a particular favourite of mine, though I have never owned one. This appears to be a very nice example, and I dare say far more pleasing in hand.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity