Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2014, 03:51:04 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Authentication, Fakes and Frauds (Moderators: maridvnvm, Ilya Prokopov)  |  Topic: Sicily, Lilybaion Bronze--tooled? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sicily, Lilybaion Bronze--tooled?  (Read 486 times)
Equity
Consul

« on: March 30, 2012, 02:17:53 am »

Fellow collectors,

I've recently purchased this bronze, purportedly featuring the laureate head of Apollo and a lyre. It weighs ~7g. I've attached my own pictures as well as those of the seller's. I'm quite inexperienced at spotting alterations, but it looks strange to me, and stylistically doesn't appear "ancient". Would you please look it over and let me know if you believe it has been tooled/enhanced/"repatinated"?

Thanks very much,
Derek

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:12:53 am »

I don't think it's tooled as such, just inexpertly cleaned and scratched.

Equity
Consul

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46:45 pm »

Thank you Andreas, that's a relief. I clearly have much to learn about evaluating styles! Coins from Lilybaion/Lilybaeum appear in few numbers on e.g. wildwinds and acsearch, and so I was going by intuition which was clearly faulty.

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Authentication, Fakes and Frauds (Moderators: maridvnvm, Ilya Prokopov)  |  Topic: Sicily, Lilybaion Bronze--tooled? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop