Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla Indvlg Fecvndae  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Caracalla Indvlg Fecvndae
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:06:21 am »
Hello,
I am wondering what this particular reverse type propagates. I know in general what 'indulgentia' and 'fecunditas' means, but my knowledge of Latin is not sufficient to propose a translation. I am wondering about that too.
Regards
Gert

Caracalla AD 198-217, AR denarius Rome 213
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT; Laureate bust r.
INDVLG FECVNDAE; Indulgentia (Domna?), veiled and towered, seated left on curule chair, extending r.hand and holding sceptre
RIC 214; RSC 104; 3.10g; 19mm

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Caracalla Indvlg Fecvndae
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:47:17 am »
My suggestion:

This type probably commemorates Caracalla's generosity (Indulgentia) in extending the Roman citizenship to all inhabitants of the Roman empire.  Hence the World, towered as on Hadrian's RESTITVTORI ORBIS TERRARVM sestertius, is depicted sitting on the curule chair, symbolic of the consulship, praetorship, and curule aedileship, the highest offices open to Roman citizens
Curtis Clay

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:56 am »
Hi Curtis,
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestion. But how does fertility fit into this? Or is 'fecundae' an adjective meaning something like 'rich and overflowing generosity'?
Regards
Gert

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:23 am »
That's as fine a portrait die of Caracalla in his mid-twenties as I can recall seeing.  And I think you're right about FECVNDAE being an adjective and spelled out so that we know the case of INDVLG though abbreviated (genitive or dative).
Pat L.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestion. But how does fertility fit into this? Or is 'fecundae' an adjective meaning something like 'rich and overflowing generosity'?

I suppose the generosity could be called "fertile" because it changed the status and would hopefully improve the lives of a great number of inhabitants of the empire. But that's only a guess, not something I have investigated or thought about much!
Curtis Clay

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:21:14 pm »
John Melville Jones,  Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (p.113) suggests 'fruitful fondness' referring to Domna's love for her children.  This does seem a bit awkward considering the timing and circumstances of Geta's death.

'What were they thinking' is always a difficult game to play but can be fun.  What I would really like to know is at what level the decision was made as to what type coins would be issued.  Did Caracalla do this himself or was it the task of some low level manager at the mint?  It is easy to see certain trends at the mint but hard to prove any question starting with 'Why".

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:27:01 pm »
This reverse depiction is curious : on the other Indulg. fecundae denarii of Caracalla I know, the deity on the rev. wears a mural crown. On yours she is only veiled.

Before this emission, Indulgentia appeared on Roman coins under Hadrian, Antoninus Pius and Septimius Severus. She was always depicted as a deity seated left on a throne, bare-headed and holding sceptre. And there is a big emission of septimius Severus or Caracalla (as a young boy) with "Indulgentia Augg. in Carth(aginem)", where indulgentia is depicted as Juno Caelestis wearing mural crown, holding thunderbolt and sceptre, riding a lion.

So, the Indulgentia of this later emission is the classic Indulgentia plus the mural crown, maybe to remember the Juno Caelestis of the previous Septimius Severus / Caracalla older emissions. She is also sitting on a curule chair, unlike all previous Indulgentia depictions.

Technically, an indulgentia is a tax reduction. This coin could very well advertise some kind of tax reduction in favor of cities, in order to boost prosperity (like the indulgentia in favor of Banasa, Inscriptions Antiques du Maroc II, 100). Lower taxes create economic growth, everybody knows this. Maybe this is what "Indulgentia fecunda" means...

This inscription about an indulgentia of 216 says explicitely that, in Caracalla's mind, the indulgentia granted to the city must help the city paying more taxes in the future : (inscr. n° 282) :
http://books.google.fr/books?id=zBurLat60hIC&lpg=PA228&ots=geLit_S2WT&dq=%22banasa%22%20%22caelestia%22&hl=fr&pg=PA228#v=onepage&q=%22banasa%22%20%22caelestia%22&f=false

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:53:08 pm »
Interesting, but objections might arise.

I'd say Indulgentia is not specifically a tax reduction, but a favor of any sort. Melville-Jones cites the coin of Patras recording the granting of permission to issue coins as an imperial favor, INDVLGENTIAE AVG MONETA IMPETRATA.

The goddess on the lion is not Indulgentia herself, but Dea Caelestis, the chief goddess of Carthage, representing the city, the recipient of the emperors' generosity. In the same way I think the INDVLG FECVNDAE type depicts the recipient of the generosity, in this case the whole Roman world, not Indulgentia herself.

The curule chair is explained by my suggestion, since only Roman citizens could obtain curule offices, but remains mysterious if the reference is to tax remissions. Plus, we know that Caracalla granted universal citizenship at around the time that the INDVLG FECVNDAE type appeared, but we hear nothing about a lowering of taxes important enough to be commemorated on imperial denarii, at this time or any time during Caracalla's reign!
Curtis Clay

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:20:17 pm »
We could discuss this at length. Of course the godess riding a lion is not Indulgentia but Juno (or Dea) Caelestis. But no need to look in literary historical records for an important tax reduction under Caracalla : after all the coins are mere propaganda.

The curule chair is some new feature for an Indulgentia reverse. I agree, of course : only a Roman citizen could hold a curule office (in fact, only a member of the Senatorial nobility). But I am not convinced by the hypothesis according to which this reverse could advertise the Constitutio Antoniniana. After all, Indulgentia on coins is a classic reverse theme, already used under Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Septimius Severus. After this emission you will find it on Elagabalus (for Sev. Alex. caesar), under Gallienus, Postumus, Carus... No need for an exceptional event for this.

What do you think about the inscription of Banasa, where Caracalla himself tells the reason why he grants indulgentiae?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »
But no need to look in literary historical records for an important tax reduction under Caracalla : after all the coins are mere propaganda....But I am not convinced by the hypothesis according to which this reverse could advertise the Constitutio Antoniniana. After all, Indulgentia on coins is a classic reverse theme, already used under Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Septimius Severus. After this emission you will find it on Elagabalus (for Sev. Alex. caesar), under Gallienus, Postumus, Carus... No need for an exceptional event for this.

What do you think about the inscription of Banasa, where Caracalla himself tells the reason why he grants indulgentiae?

I would argue that each of the early appearances of indulgentia commemorated a specific act of imperial generosity, even if that act has not been recorded in the written or epigraphical sources.

For example INDVLGENTIA AVG appeared for Septimius Severus in spring 197, when we know he was being generous to the Roman people, distributing his second largesse and holding games, in anticipation of his departure to Syria for his second Parthian campaign.

No one doubts that the INDVLGENTIA AVGG IN CARTH type of 203-4 refers to specific favors accorded by the emperors to Carthage, since the recipient city is named in the legend and depicted in the type!

INDVLGENTIA AVG with the Spes type for Severus Alexander as Caesar had a very specific meaning: Elagabalus was boasting of his generosity in promoting his cousin to the Caesarship, which Maesa had persuaded him to do, but which he very soon came to regret!

It seems perverse to deny a possible connection of the INDVLG FECVNDAE type with Caracalla's citizenship decree, when we know that the type was approximately contemporaneous with the decree and the depiction of the World seated on a curule chair seems to fit very well!

I am unfamiliar with the Banasa inscription, but if that was a favor to one minor city, it would certainly not have been commemorated in a denarius reverse type! Having now read the decree in the link you provided, I am mystified what you think this very specific tax remission to one small city in 216 has to do with the INDVLG FECVNDAE type of 212!
Curtis Clay

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:23 am »
The one thing that's bothering me about this is the word 'Fecundae' in the rev. legend. If that word strictly means 'fertile', and can't be translated metaphorically 'rich/overflowing', it seems to me a peculiar phrasing for the citizenship grant.
Regards
Gert

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:28 am »

In Collins dictionary we have:

fecundus a.   fertile, fruitful; fertilizing; (fig.) abundant, rich, prolific.

Pekka K

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:01:39 am »
Thanks Pekka! I agree with Curtis that this issue being contemporaneous with Caracalla's citizenship grant is hard to overlook, but I think the translation of the word fecundae must be part of the explanation. With Pekka's reference, interpreting the legend as propagating the 'Abundant generosity' of the emperor would be a possibility.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity