Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine: unlisted? barbarous?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Nikko

• Caesar
  • He was simply Great!
Constantine: unlisted? barbarous?
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:43 pm »
I recently acquired this intruding coin:

O//: CONSTANTI-NVS AVG, high crested helmet, cuirassed, spear over right shoulder, shield on left arm-
R//: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP
E//: PT
RIC VII Ticinum --
2,6 gms, 16 mm

Obverse legend, bust type and altar type are unlisted, however, it looks to be a barbarous specimen of exceptional quality.
Scribendi recte sapere est principium et fons

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Constantine: unlisted? barbarous?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:24:11 pm »
Yes, I also think it's barbarous. Still a nice scarce coin, as most of them are from further east.
Regards
Gert

Offline Nikko

• Caesar
  • He was simply Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:31:38 pm »
Yes, I also think it's barbarous. Still a nice scarce coin, as most of them are from further east.
Regards
Gert

Thanks Gert!
I think that the style of the letter could be the most indicative element of a hypothetical barbarian origin.
By the way, weight and diameter are not so far from Ticinum mint standards.
Scribendi recte sapere est principium et fons

pittinigf

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:58:37 pm »
I also think it is an imitative coin. Emperor's forehead is too protruding. Letters A are not very barbarous, but not classical ones: they are such as H. Reverse has a more barbarous look: victories and their wings are quite atypical, and the altar and writings too.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
The style on this one is so good (not official though), that rather than "barbarous" origin I wonder if it might be a coin minted by someone that worked at a mint. Constantine had this to say in A.D. 321--

"Since some imperial minters are secretly and criminally engaged in the coinage of counterfeit (adulterinus) money, all shall know that the necessity is incumbent on them of seeking out such men, that they be tracked down and delivered to the courts, so that they may forwith betray the accomplices of their deeds through torture and thereupon be sentenced to suitable punishments."
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:10:06 am »
Of course you are right. 'Barbarous' is misleading and inadequate, as only a small portion of these coins we call 'barbarous' is found outside the borders of the Roman empire - ie struck by 'barbarians'. I should have used the word 'imitative', but old habits die hard.
Regards
Gert

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:30:58 am »
Very nice.  I think more than 90% of these imitative VLPPs come with Siscia mint marks so one with a Ticinum mark is a good find.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

gavignano

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:57 pm »
This is a very cool imitative - the Victories are pretty far off to be from someone who worked at the mint, but I love the interpretative element to them. great find.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity