Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 12:46:22 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Antiquities  |  Topic: Cornucopia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cornucopia  (Read 997 times)
Viminacium
Caesar

« on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:04 am »

I found this and i think it is cornucopia... But dont know anzthing else about this. Cant find it anywhere, is it unique? Please help.
Enodia
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

~ For My Star ~

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »

This Image Or Video Has Been Moved Or Deleted

hmmm... maybe a  Horn 'O Plenty 'O Nothin?

perhaps uploading directly to this site will work better. see Additional Options below.

~ Peter

Syltorian
Consul

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »

It's possible to see it if you use the image info to trace it back to the photobucket account.

Still, can't say much about it. It's horn-shaped, and seems broken off. It's difficult to say what it was supposed to be attached to.

What's the context of the find?

Viminacium
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »

ok,i attached them directly from my pc... something is wrong with photobucket. Context of the find? I dont understand what you want to ask  Tongue
Syltorian
Consul

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:50:52 pm »

Quote from: Viminacium on March 20, 2012, 01:49:32 pm
ok,i attached them directly from my pc... something is wrong with photobucket. Context of the find? I dont understand what you want to ask  Tongue

Sorry: archaeological jargon there. The context is the location where an artifact is found and the different pieces of information that can be attached to that location.

For instance, it might matter on whether you found something on the site of an ancient building. It helps even more if you know what type of building, and to what culture it belonged, and in which part of the building it was found. There's also the question of layers. Over time, earth and debris accumulate and you'll find different layers, older the further down you get. Disturbances indicate building works, holes and ditches dug and filled, destruction (e.g. rubble from tumbled-down buildings and/or ash), and so forth. A broken object in a destruction layer of a temple tells you a different story than a broken object in a filled-in rubbish disposal hole of a roman villa. Then there's the question of what objects were found in association with this - if any. Are they randomly jumbled together, or is there a connection? So, the context is all the background and surrounding information of the find, as precise as you can make it (this means ideally pinpointed to the inch in all three dimensions).

So, you in common parlance what I was asking is "where did you find it?" And the more information you can put into the answer, the better. It's not an exact science, but invaluable information nevertheless.

Viminacium
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »

I found it on location of some Roman village... East Serbia.
otlichnik
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:03 am »

How large is it?

I have seen bronze cornucopiae that were once part of a statue, such as a Genius, but have become detached.  However, I have only ever seen small ones - 1-2" (2.3-5 cm) complete.

Yours looks like it was hollow and it is only a fraction.  If it was once large it might have been a drinking vessel or table ornament.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Vienna)
Viminacium
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:27 am »

it is 6 cm long,and it is not metal
Viminacium
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:12:29 am »

Some help?
otlichnik
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:08:17 am »

Not metal?

Then my guess is that it is the tip of a bone, horn or ivory drinking vessel.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Vienna)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Antiquities  |  Topic: Cornucopia « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop