Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looking for a hoard of origin of Attica Owl Tet Intermediate  (Read 614 times)

Offline Ancientnoob

• Praetorian
  • Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite
Looking for a hoard of origin of Attica Owl Tet Intermediate
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I know that everyone has got to be more knowledgeable then myself of the subject of...well most everything...I have a few books and read extensively online and found some interesting info on weights and dates of tet hoards. I was wondering would of could anyone shine some light on the hoard of origin for my coin. When I bought my coin It was so nice and with the price I paid It couldn't be real. So I sent it to NGC Ancients and then I was wowed. CH VF !! You can look my coin up on the NGC website Cert number is 4100608-001 I had it imaged as well. Although all photos I take with my new cam are too large for the bored to upload, so please have a look. I will also include the source I was reading from considering the weight and date studies of these coins.  http://numismatics.academia.edu/PeterVanAlfen/Papers/245826/_A_fourth-century_BCE_hoard_from_the_Near_East._American_Journal_of_Numismatics_20_2008_191-234

Thanks for looking.

AncientNoob.
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Looking for a hoard of origin of Attica Owl Tet Intermediate
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »
Many millions of owls have been minted, if you didn't get any provenance with your coin it will be impossible to find out if it came from any known hoard find and if yes, which one it was. Of course the vast majority of hoards are not recorded at all and those that are probably don't have pictures of all coins.

Nice coin but I would get rid of the slab, that's for collectors of modern coins. Ancient coins have to be handled.
Andreas Reich

Offline Ancientnoob

• Praetorian
  • Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:32:49 pm »
It was kind of heart breaking to get it slabbed. It was soooo chunky in hand. Thanks for the info.
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »
It was kind of heart breaking to get it slabbed. It was soooo chunky in hand. Thanks for the info.

I always crack my slabs open. Even the ones I had from NGC.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity