Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Allectus "invictus" not in RIC  (Read 456 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Allectus "invictus" not in RIC
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »
Hi,

Just acquired the following Allectus:

Allectus 293-6
Antoninianus
IMP C ALLECTVS PF I AVG
Radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right
MONETA AVG
Moneta standing left holding scales and cornucopia
Camulodunum mint
S/P//C
RIC - (cf 82 cuirassed bust)

A find from the Stanwick Roman villa site. The "Invictus" coins of Allectus turn up much less frequently than Carausius, this one isn't noted in Burnett's conspectus. I was surprised it was online in the dealer's stock for so long given the current popularity of Romano-British coins  ;D.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: Allectus "invictus" not in RIC
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »
The coin is certainly from Stanwick, but probably not the villa site itself, which is probably still a scheduled monument and mostly covered with lakes and leisure facilities  ;D

http://www.stanwicklakes.org.uk/northampton/
http://www.stanwicklakes.org.uk/northampton/history/archaeology/

All coins are guaranteed for eternity