Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coolest ancient zingers?  (Read 975 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Coolest ancient zingers?
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »
This is bit of a light-hearted topic, but I'm always interested in ancient and medieval zingers, put-downs, and one-liners.  Here's one to start:

Pompey Magnus: "Little man, stop quoting laws to me.  We carry swords."

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
Re: Coolest ancient zingers?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »
Augustus

The Emperor Augustus was, reputedly, a man addicted to quaint sayings, and I believe Tacitus cites the expression “quicker than boiled asparagus.” Asparagus, of course, requires nothing more than to be lightly blanched or steamed; you sort of wave it at the heat source. Best vegetable on the planet.

Auggie really must have liked this one!
http://sledpress.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/quicker-than-boiled-asparagus/
CCAESAR

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Coolest ancient zingers?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:39:08 pm »
The Republic. 195 BC. Lucius Valerius. Tribune.  "It is for the weaker sex to submit to whatever you advise". As recorded by Livy.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity