Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Taras)  |  Topic: Ariobarzanes I Reverse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ariobarzanes I Reverse  (Read 572 times)
77HK77
Consul

« on: March 01, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »

I ran across an Ariobarzanes I reverse I thought unusual.

The reverse has a circular pattern around the inscription and Athena.

I only own one of this type and I'm limited to Simonetta for a reference so my experience is limited on this type.
Didn't see anything online with a similar border

Has any one seen this kind of reverse before?
HK
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:02 am »

Twelve years ago I, too, found this portrait irresistible.  See attached.  The reverse is of a kind, not limited to Cappadocia, that is meant to represent a traditional cult image of Athena (so they make her very angular).
•• 04 IV 00  AR drachmAsia Minor, Cappadocia.  Ariobarzanes I Philorhomaios (95-63 BC).  Rev. Athena; Basileos Ariobarzonou Philorhomaiou (in exergue) and regnal year, which seems to be 31.  Cf. Sear GCV 7302.
Like you, I did not have (and haven't even now) good references for these.
Pat L.
P.S. Though my coin may be shinier, yours has a finer portrait.
rover1.3
Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:47 am »

I ran across an Ariobarzanes I reverse I thought unusual.

The reverse has a circular pattern around the inscription and Athena.

I only own one of this type and I'm limited to Simonetta for a reference so my experience is limited on this type.
Didn't see anything online with a similar border

Has any one seen this kind of reverse before?
HK

It is a dated KB = 22 (Regnal Year) = 74/3 BC, filleted border reverse AR drachm.

Read here for details,
http://www.acsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=419435

best regards,

rover
77HK77
Consul

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »

Thank you Pat, Rover,

Interesting possibility that it celebrates a restoration of Ariobarzanes to the throne.

HK

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Taras)  |  Topic: Ariobarzanes I Reverse « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop