Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Some thoughts on swinging a falx.  (Read 3038 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Some thoughts on swinging a falx.
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:20:49 am »
I have just read Dr David Sim’s article in Minerva magazine (Nov-Dec 2011) about the results of some experimental archeology. He is interested on the construction and efficiency of the Dacian curved weapon called a falx.

Using the techniques of the time he says the Dacian blacksmiths would have taken around 18 hours to make the long bladed falx. It was a two handed weapon used in a downward slashing motion. His experiments have shown a long swing could reach a velocity of 25 metres per second and give an impact energy on the sharp downward curving edge of the blade of 150 joules. This is enough to sever an arm or deeply penetrate the legionary helmet of the day.

After an initial nasty reverse the Romans added strips of iron across the top of their helmets and adopted gladiator type armour for the sword arm. But I personally don’t think this alone was the whole story. The fighting styles between Romans and Dacians must have been totally different. The armored legionary would try to get close enough with the protection of his shield to stab the enemy with his short sword. The Dacian, lacking body armour by the ancient images of them- would be free to move quickly back and forth. The longer reach of the falx would mean if he was nimble enough, he could strike while still too far away for the legionary’s sword to reach him.

My theory then is that the Roman commanders would have used tactics to negate the effectiveness of the falx. Since the beginning of history commanders have preferred higher ground, but in Dacia slope would be the critical factor.

They would try to engage the Dacians on sloping ground with the Roman position on the higher end. The steeper the slope the better. This would reduce the length of the Dacian warrior’s swing therefore reducing the velocity and force of the falx. It would also make it harder for the Dacian to dart forward and back.

Once the opposing lines met they would push forward as hard and fast as possible without loosing formation. This would have the more nimble Dacian warrior constantly forced backward, restricting the space he needed to operate in and swing the falx.

Here are contemporary images of Dacians with the falx, my own Trajan As showing a pile of captured Dacian weapons including a falx and my own illustration showing my thoughts on its limitations.

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Some thoughts on swinging a falx.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:42 am »
Interesting topic and ideas.  Did you draw that illustration?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:49 pm »
You'd have to try a falx out, but there's nothing to stop you using a sideways swing, which would be just as effective upslope. If a lot of wrist action was involved, the swing may not have been so long.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Syltorian

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43:02 pm »
Some thoughts to add to your interesting ideas - without having read the article by Dr. Sims - but first of, great arguments and illustrations!

Remember that Roman combat style did not rely exclusively on the gladius.

A salve of pila would tear through unarmored ranks. It's quite effective enough against armored foes. Roman battles tended, according to new analysis, to involve a lot of time spent simply standing apart from the enemy, occasionally rushing on, and peppering the enemy with pila passed on from the rear ranks; nobody can wield a sword for the few hours most battles took in one go, never mind a heavier falx (though you'd have to convince the falx-wielder not to rush head-first and try to under-run the pila). If the enemy stood far enough apart to dodge incoming missiles, they'd have to face several legionaries all by themselves, and would be a tempting target to cavalry, should they be able to manoeuvre past their own ranks. If they stood more compact, the pila would likely do their work. Also note that according to Vegetius (who does write rather late, in the 4th century, but harkens back to the "good old times"), legionaries were trained with slings. They would have contingents of ranged troops with them. Falx-users may have made rather nice targets if you could somehow avoid hitting your own people.

Second, the shield itself was used as a weapon. The scuta were large, and while hitting someone with the boss is the most effective offensive use, angling the shield upwards to hit the enemy with the lower edge can also do some damage and keep an enemy at a distance. It's risky, but it's shown on some (mostly gladiatorial) representations. I don't know what the length of a falx is, and whether such a tactic would break the attack enough for the helmet to protect the head, so it might be better to keep your shield high. Also, while Roman shield rims were metal-reinforced, I wonder what happened if a falx broke through. How often would it get stuck? Even if it gets stuck for only a second before it comes lose again, a well-trained legionary would have a good opportunity to strike at the unprotected belly of his opponent, who probably needs both hands to pull out his weapon.

The Dacian may have been nimble on account of his armour, but the Romans might try to compensate by stabbing rather than slashing. The gladius does both effectively, but stabbing seems to have been preferred. It takes less energy, is less predictable than a wide swing, and causes deep wounds.

Roman tactics could vary, of course. Take Arrian's Battle Order against the Alans for the use of legions against unconventional forces. Unfortunately, much of this depends on knowing the proportion of falx wielders to other warriors - and as your coin shows, there was other equipment - and so far as I know, no written sources on the falx exist. Art representations, sometimes done by sculptors who had never really seen action (there's cute scale-mail-pyjama wearing horses on Trajan's Column - although the Adamclissi Trophy sculptor would be hard put not to have come into contact with Dacians, seeing as the trophy is in Dacia) and of course experimental archaeology are our main ways of testing any hypothesis. There might possibly be some way to use comparative history, with respect two-handed/bastard swords or some shorter polearms, though I guess discussion on how close such similarities are would soon degenerate (and end up in the dreaded "samurai katana vs. medieval plate armour" debate).   

Incidentally: you might get some very interesting feedback here at the RAT forums.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:44:53 am »
Jeremy- Yes I did sketch the Dacian, I used to be a visual artist (quickly learned it was an easy way to starve to death and got a “real job”) still like to paint and draw when I get I quiet moment.

Robert- I don’t think there was a lot of wrist action until the end of the swing. I seems to me the power would have largely come from the muscles in the arms. Interesting point you make on a sideways slash, harder to do with your own people alongside you but it would be not beyond a skilled warrior using the move if the opportunity presented itself.

Syltorian- A lot of interesting points. Roman legionaries would hurl their pila as their closed with the enemy to use the gladius, but as the Dacians were also equipped with throwing spears I’m sure they would do the same thing. Being less heavily armored than the Romans you would think a Dacian warrior was more likely to be killed or injured in an exchange of missiles. Maybe they had a more open fighting formation allowing them the chance to simply duck out of the way. 

You are right, both about the potential value of experimental archeology and the dangers of being mislead by it.

A couple interesting images I found. Some military re-enactors demonstrating the effect of a falx strike on a Roman shield- it looks to me like it must have gotten stuck rather often. (love the legionaries in the background with their digital cameras!) Also I found the Dacians employed another two handed slashing weapon, the spatha. The second image shows a very nicely preserved example.

Best regards,
Steve

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:08:34 am »
I'm particulary interested in Dacian history so this is fascinating stuff and wonderful illustrations also, Steve!

Would the curve of the falx be enough to reach over the top of the shield and catch the legionary in the head?

Offline Iuventus Augustus

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:05:05 pm »
I remember seeing this exact experiment by Dr. David Sims for myself a few years ago as a student, im glad to see the results have finally gone to print.
He set up on a public open day during the digging season at the Roman town of Silchester, smithing all kinds of weapons and giving live demos. He not only taught us about the capabilities of the flax but also the potential of a wide variety of weapons and their defensive counterparts including traps and projectiles including the pila and plumbata dart which was used in the later empire. I think his experimental results from testing the plumbata are published in academic literature somewhere, though i am unsure.

I distinctly remember the demonstartion using the falx on some Roman shoulder armour laid over a soft clay block to represent human flesh. The strongest guy on site was used to wield the falx and the impact and penetration from a direct hit was impressive to say the least. The shoulder armour was cleaved right open and would have left a wound not only deep but wide too. The whole curved tip of the flax penetrated the armour and clay but obviously in a battle situation clean blows would not have been as frequent. Still this was a poweful weapon that i think not only had an obvious physical presence but a psycholoigcal impact as well. To me at least there seems something menacing about the shape that would have been unfamiliar to many Roman soldiers.

I think there is at least some literature out there which places a lot of emphasis on the falx for early successes gained by the Dacians over the Roman army before the time of Trajan, maybe in the time of Domitian? Someone with a better military chronology may be able to enlighten me there.

A very interesting topic!

Iuventus

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »
Great drawings Steve! :)
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity