Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Are there any known "error" coins....  (Read 632 times)

HunterAce

Are there any known "error" coins....
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:33:05 am »
Hi All, I've just found this forum recently and I was hoping someone here might have an answer to a puzzling question that I have had with one of my AR coins??

A brief description:

- Coin Reverse, Victory in a biga holding reins in left and wreath in right,  L.RVTILI in exergue.  (I believe all is well on this side of the silver coin, however)

-Coin Obverse, Head of Roma (right), wearing a winged helmet with peaked visor, FLAC behind.  (Here's where I seem to have a problem gettingm coin to conform... The Obverse of my coin appears the same as every other L. Rutilius Flaccus I have ever seen, ONLY, the obverse of my Denarius has this entire side of the coin in REVERSE, as if you were looking at it in a mirror...

Could this have been a rare error where the design was not drawn in reverse on the striking die?  If so, does anyone else know how many of these EXTREMELY RARE coins were struck before the die was fixed? 

I have attached a photo of both sides of the coin that I scanned and enlarged on my printer... you should definately see the "error" with the Obverse of this coin...
Please let me know if you can see the photo as I cannot see it in my preview of this post?

ANY help or insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance,
HunterAce

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
Re: Are there any known "error" coins....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:54:12 am »
This happens sometimes. For example on larges bronzes struck under Philip the Arab in Antioch.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=41500.msg261782#msg261782

All coins are guaranteed for eternity