Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Galba sestertius !  (Read 390 times)

Dirvartanian

Galba sestertius !
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:00:13 pm »
Hello everybody

This is Galba sestertiusIMP SER SULP GALBA CAES AVG TRB
with rare reverse of Virtus and Honos.

I have found a  match at acsearch but with some differences in weight, Style, obv. legend , and Galba portrait which are unusual for a sestertius.

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=200833

In the description ,  Virtus puts his foot on boar's head while it is mossing in my coin.
Kraay reported four dies of this reverse in his die study of the aes coinage of Galba
Do you think this die is included within the four, or if the coin is Rome mint ?

any addition is appreciated

Best regards
Samo

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Galba sestertius !
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:07:59 pm »
Samo,

I'm sorry to have to say that your coin appears to be a modern fake in quite crude style.

Here is what a real one looks like, the same coin you have linked to: they are wonderful coins!
Curtis Clay

Dirvartanian

Re: Galba sestertius !
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »
Hmmm.. the weigt is 21g. It supports your decission
although it is not a cast product, but maybe a new compressor technology.

Thanks Curtis

Samo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity