Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Statuette?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Ancient Statuette?
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:35 pm »
I bought this statuette at the auction. It was ignored by everyone else and sold to me as a doorstop (sic). I sure would like to know if it's an authentic Aztec, Inca or Mayan figurine, perhaps ancient. Any ideas?

It appears to have been part of a larger object. The bottom may have been chiseled off to separate it and then repaired. The figure is crudely carved into some type of stone. Can anyone identify this type of stone?

It weighs 3 lbs. - 13.8 oz. Dimensions: 7.6" H x 4.4" W x 3.2" Thick

UPDATE:
I have identified this type of stone as Andisite. It is found in the western part of the Andes Mountains in South America as well as other parts of the world. The area identified in the Andes was primarily dominated and populated by the Incas.

A few months after posting this update I received a phone call from a museum in PA. The person who called was not the curator but she said that this statuette was 'generic', whatever that means.
"Barbarians.....do not destroy this earth!"

marrk

Re: Ancient Statuette?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:36:18 am »
resembles that ;D

Offline majorcvs

• Consul
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Re: Ancient Statuette?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:35:40 am »
Hahahaha!! Nice tatoo you have Marrk. Is it of your friends? ;D
"Barbarians.....do not destroy this earth!"