Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diadumenian and Macrinus  (Read 1190 times)

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Diadumenian and Macrinus
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »
I would say Moesia Marcianopolis 27mm 12.20grms. Any help welcomed.
David V McCallum II

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Caracalla and Julia Domna
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:38:03 pm »
Hi Dave

it's Diadumenian and Macrinus: Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior

AY K OPPEL CEVH MAKREINOC / K M OPPEL AN / TWNEINOC DI / ADOUME
Diadumenian, bare head right (on the left), facing laureate head of Macrinus   left.
VP PONTIANOU MARKIANO / POLITWN, River god reclining left, right hand on
prow, left hand on rock, plant behind.
Epsilon at upper left.

Megaw MAR5.54b; Varbanov 1284 var.
I will add it to wildwinds.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:13 am »
May I add:

AMNG I/1, 754, pl. XVIII, 6 (2 ex., Löbbecke, Schmidt)
Hristova/Jekov (2011) No. 6.24.32.2 corr. (writes AVT and DIADOVMEN)
Pfeiffer 259 corr. (writes DIADOVMEN)

Best regards

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:14 am »
Thank you both very much. Its nice to find a coin not on wildwinds and to have it added makes me feel like a real collector. I got it for a good price. Off Ebay it was mis IDed. Makes me feel like you don't have to be rich to collect. Just be selective on the coins you buy.
David V McCallum II

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »
Helvictia if you need better photos let me know, and I will get them to you. Thank you very much.
David V McCallum II

Offline David M3

• Caesar
Re: Diadumenian and Macrinu
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:54:44 am »
I have been trying to buy coins that i can't find on Helvitias site hopping that they would be on the rare side. The coin is not in the best of condition but ony 56 us. So I hope I did ok. but I do not have a dual bust with Diadumenian and Macrinus. Did I do ok. I have been collecting for over 30 years now. I have thousands of coins some not even in my diplay cases. They are in bulk storage. My wife is trying to get me to sell some but I just can not get myself to do it. Should I or not?
David V McCallum II

Offline David M3

• Caesar
Re: Diadumenian and Macrinus
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »
Helvetica thank you very much for puting my coin on you wildwinds sit it make me feel good eventhough its not the best coin in the world it lets the average collector get notice. I love all my coin from the worst to the best. My wife wishes I would sell some but I told her when I'm gone she can do what she likes to do with them. Also what is the rarity of this coin. Thank you very much.
David V McCallum II

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »
HrJ writes rarity R6 (of 10), meaning that they know of 20 to 50 coins of that type. So scarce but not actually rare.

Best regards

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:49:48 pm »
Thank you very much. Its nice to own a small pice of history.
David V McCallum II

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:09 am »
Jochen, is that an actual specimen count or an estimate?
Andreas Reich

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:02 am »
These are numbers of HrJ's table on p. VIII. As you probably know these numbers are based mainly on offers online. Therefore their reliability is limited.

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:23 am »
As I have stated before, I am sure the "numbers of specimens" are complete inventions. The specimens H/J actually knew are the ones they illustrate in their book, plus the ones reported in AMNG!
Curtis Clay

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:20:00 pm »
The actual number of coins is pointless to me. Yes I like the idear of rarity. But I like the fact that there are 100 or fewer of this coin out in circulation and I own one that is not in two bad of condition. Thank you all for the help.
David V McCallum II

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »
It is not pointless. If the numbers are invented like Curtis says then you DON'T know that there are less than 100 existent today. I was hoping that this was not the case. Of course you can never know how many exist but are not published but I'd rather have an actual specimen count with the sources given.
Andreas Reich

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 04:27:25 pm »
There could be many more out there like mine I bought it miss IDed. It came out in my favor because it is a scarce coin and I only paid 54 for it. I will continue to buy until the wife puts a stop to it. Hopefully it will be some time to come. Thank all of you for your comment and help to ID my coin, and again thank you Helvictia for posting it on you site. Is 54 dollars a fair pice for the coin? I know this is not the place but it is not for sale it is for insurance reasons.
David V McCallum II

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:04 pm »
So are you saying the rarity of most coins are based on the number that come up for sale. The fewer for sale the higher the rareity. I understand supply and demand I have a major in economics and am a CPA in accounting. Collecting is a hobby. The coin was not sold as Diadumenian an Macrinus but as Caracalla and Domna. I knew better but I still could not find the coin until I was advised on this site and that is why I love it. So much knowledge. Just because I have been collecting for 30yrs. does not make me an expert. Plus I do not specialize in any area. But I love coins and when I see one for sale miss IDed and not to expensive I buy it. But if any one would like to give me a better idea on how they come up with the number in circulation at anytime please feel free. Regardless of rarity the value of any coin is what you can get for it at the time it goes up for sale. I may get lucky I may break even or even lose but I don't buy them as an investment. But they have become a large part of my investments, I assume it is less risky then stocks and collectors can go carzy over a coin they want for their collections. I know I have over paid many times just cought up in the rush. I try to pay about 20 to 40 percent of the listed price so that when I sell them I will at least break even. It is now listed on wildwinds and I am as prod as a new parent.
David V McCallum II

Offline David M3

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »
Knowing the scarcity of this coin is it worth what I paid for it and if so an aproximation of its value. Like you stated now way of telling how many are out there. Thank you all for your input.
David V McCallum II

All coins are guaranteed for eternity