Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval to C18th Commemorative Medals  (Read 22291 times)

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Medieval to C18th Commemorative Medals
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:57 am »
Dear Group

Having checked with Joe, I would like to start a medals thread here to discuss any early (C16th) to later (C18th) medals that you have. I'm not specifying any topic beyond that yet, I am just hoping there are a few people whom are like minded.

For myself, I am interested in and beginning to acquire, English medals up to Queen Anne and the Union of Scotland & England. A topical subject no doubt!

However again, there are some wonderful earlier and later medals across Europe in those 200 years, not least from France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy including the Papal States and beyond. I note the Papal Corner thread in this section and see they have some fantastic medals to offer us here.

If you have any medals you wish to discuss, analyse, examine the history behind or just show off, you would be most welcome.

Let's see where we can go from there.

Brgds

AlexB

'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

4to2CentBCphilia

Re: Medieval to C18th Commemorative Medals
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »
Alex

Excellent.

I saw your earlier post and it made me smile, because I began looking closely at medals about 6 months ago. I came across a medal I purchased as a teenager and thought...........these are pretty neat.

I almost bought a mid-16th century Papal Medal but chickened out because I had no idea of the true value.

I only have a few more coins on my want list and medals are quite intriguing.

Any photos you want to share here? You piqued my curiosity.

Hope all is well with you.

Best Regards

Mark

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »
Hi Mark and Welcome.

Interestingly, to me anyway, medals don't seem to have so much of an online following as coins. They have existed as long if you look into it, in that even in Greek times you can find what are speculated as Commemorative Medals (the Bactrian/Indian Elephant Medallions come to mind instantly) . Other examples include from the Roman period, which was no stranger to such issues, and these are highly collectable but not really differentiated from coinage. This is partly understandable as they are likely by the same engravers as the more numerable monetary emissions (but usually bigger flans). The Saxons under Alfred issued medals or similar, though under whose authority you might rightly ask - are they official? Religious authorities also quite liked a bit of visual propaganda through the years! Europe in medieval times produced some fine and collectable examples, which leads us into the wonderful Renaissance period, starting in Italy and spreading cross the continent quickly. Eventually, to the England under the reign of Henry VIII and beyond. These latter medallions are where I keep my focus.

In many cases they are more finely worked than coins, due often to the size of flan, but simply because they were made to be seen by high authority, and to convey a message. They are in many cases limited to a small emission, making them hard to find and coveted. Museums seem to hold a great many in the UK, I suspect due to the above but also the national importance and historical context they portray ensures it.

They can be struck, pressed, cast and after all that, chased or further embellished. The struck, large issues, fascinate me given the problems sometimes even small coins display in execution - how did they get the finished product so perfect?

So here we are, medallions are extremely good and interesting examples of the engravers work. Please lets see some!!

AlexB

nb. My first buy below - 85mm and apparently 300gms+ of silver. A great book on these inc mine by Christopher Eimer 'British Commemorative Medals and their Values', 2010. 2nd Edition: publisher Spink; published December 2010. Buy it just for the plates alone!
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Pabst Geschichte

• Praetorian
  • Vita est quoque brevis bibere vilis cervesia.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:38 am »
AlexB emailed me and asked if I would post pictures of a few of my Papal medals, which I am happy to oblige.

I don't have a huge collection of medals--mostly I collect coins.  But with the Papal series, of 266 popes (depending on how you count 'em), only about 110 issued coins.  And that comes in three distinct phases (c. AD 657 to 983, 1300-1870, and 1929 to date) with huge gaps in between.  And beyond that,  the coins of the popes that did issue in that earliest period are insanely expensive!  So if your are interested in getting at least one numismatic item for each pope, you have to start picking up medals at some point.

This is not to say that any of the medals for popes before, say, 1450, are at all CONTEMPORARY to the pope shown on their obverse.   But fortunately several aristocrats and high-level churchmen in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries DID commission full sets of medals for all the (then recognized) popes going back as far as St. Peter!  And there are also medals for various antipopes (rivals to the generally-recognized pope), and even for a few that never actually existed (e.g., separate medals for "Cletus" and "Anacletus" when they were in fact one in the same person)!

The medal shown is a restrike of a contemporary medal of Pius III who was pope in August/September 1503

Meus consultum vobis est ut salus imbibo graviter.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:17:52 pm »
Hi and thanks!

Great medal, with excellent workmanship. I really like 'bronze' medals, there is something very appealing about them, I don't know if its the colour, the texture or something else. I have always loved the big Roman bronzes too. The history of the Catholic Church, as seen via the Papal States, is also very interesting, and of course intertwined with some of the best medals ever made. One suspects that the need for positive properganda fueled by the incomparable riches of the Vatican would buy the best engravers.

Feel free to post any more medals you have - I will strive to post something new once a week with some associated comment. Next will be some background to the medal I have posted.

Thanks again.

AlexB

Offline pitbull

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:53 am »
I noted your interest in the Catholic church and the Popes.
Though having no direct ties to either coins or medals there is a new book you may not be aware of but might be interested in.
It is titled," Absolute Monarchs ",  subtitled a history of the Papacy, by John Julius Norwich.
The book is copyright 2011.

I have only read part of the book but it is readable, not a heavy professorial tome.
It starts with St Peter and goes all the way to the current Pope.

I'm not Catholic but I also have been intrigued by the Catholic church and the Papacy and have found the book interesting

Gary

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »
Hi Mark and Welcome.

AlexB

nb. My first buy below - 85mm and apparently 300gms+ of silver. A great book on these inc mine by Christopher Eimer 'British Commemorative Medals and their Values', 2010. 2nd Edition: publisher Spink; published December 2010. Buy it just for the plates alone!

Alex

Did you get this at the recent Goldberg auction? I am almost positive I have seen this one in one of the recent auctions. Well out of my price range if I recall.

Spectacular in all respects.........nothing like starting with a "low end" medal. Good Gosh.

Question for you, since the silver medals seem to get graded along the line of modern coins, is it best to keep these out of ungloved hands?

Mark

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:13:59 am »
I noted your interest in the Catholic church and the Popes.
Though having no direct ties to either coins or medals there is a new book you may not be aware of but might be interested in.
It is titled," Absolute Monarchs ",  subtitled a history of the Papacy, by John Julius Norwich.
The book is copyright 2011.

I have only read part of the book but it is readable, not a heavy professorial tome.
It starts with St Peter and goes all the way to the current Pope.

I'm not Catholic but I also have been intrigued by the Catholic church and the Papacy and have found the book interesting

Gary

Gary thanks very much for your comments, I'll have a look.

Brgds

AlexB

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:15:34 am »
Hi Mark and Welcome.

AlexB

Alex

Did you get this at the recent Goldberg auction? I am almost positive I have seen this one in one of the recent auctions. Well out of my price range if I recall.

Spectacular in all respects.........nothing like starting with a "low end" medal. Good Gosh.

Question for you, since the silver medals seem to get graded along the line of modern coins, is it best to keep these out of ungloved hands?

Mark

Yes you are right Mark I did. Overpaid but then I thought about it and as I have said above, its a fantastic piece of historic art and I am very pleased with it. As regards handling, yes I would say so but then I have always approached coins like this too.

All the best

Alex

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42:44 am »
Hi All

So I have my new medal in the hand and frankly it s amazing. Im not saying this as a novice collector of coins, far from it. It is like a giant Roman Sestertius but with higher quality evident.

Extraordinary.

It has stimulated me to add the text for my medal here, pls read and appreciate, hopefully enjoy too!:

From: Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 49. Roettiers, John by Warwick William Wroth

ROETTIERS, ROETTIER, or ROTIER, JOHN (1631–1703), medallist, born on 4 July 1631, was the eldest son of Philip Roettiers (or Rotier), medallist and goldsmith of Antwerp, by his wife Elizabeth Thermés. John's younger brothers, Joseph (1635–1703) and Philip (b. 1640), were born at Antwerp, but it is doubtful if this was his own birthplace. John Roettiers adopted the profession of a medallist and stonecutter, and his earliest known medals are of 1656 (?) and 1660.

In 1661 he and his brother Joseph (and subsequently the third brother, Philip) were invited to England by Charles II to work at the English mint. According to Walpole (Anecdotes of Painting, ii. 184), their father had lent money to Charles during his exile, and had been promised employment for his sons. The letters patent appointing the three Roettiers engravers at the mint state that they were employed on account of the King's long experience of their great skill and knowledge ‘in the arts of graveing and cutting in stone’ (see Cal. Treasury Papers, 1697–1701–2, pp. 437, 438).

In January and February 1662 John Roettiers and Thomas Simon [q. v.] were ordered to engrave dies for the new ‘milled’ money in gold and silver, but, ‘by reason of a contest in art between them,’ they could not be brought to an agreement. They thereupon submitted patterns for gold ‘unites’ and for ‘silver crowns.’ Simon produced his splendid ‘petition crown,’ but his rival's work was preferred, and John Roettiers was entrusted with the preparation of the coinage, and on 19 May 1662 received a grant of the office of one of the chief engravers of the mint.

Roettiers had been already at work upon medals commemorating the Restoration, and he produced many important medals throughout the reign of Charles II. In February 1666–7 he was directed to make a new great seal of the kingdom of Great Britain, completed at a cost of 246l. 3s. 2d. Joseph Roettiers, John's principal assistant at the mint, left England in or before 1680, and in 1682 became engraver-general of the French mint. He died at Paris in 1703. James Roettiers, John's second son, rendered assistance to his father at the mint in place of Joseph. Philip Roettiers was officially connected with the English mint as an engraver till February 1684, but he was absent (at any rate temporarily) in the Low Countries from about 1673, and afterwards became engraver-general of the mint of the king of Spain in the Low Countries. He produced a few English medals: ‘Charles II and Catharine,’ 1667 (?) (signed ‘P. R.’); ‘State of Britain,’ 1667? (‘P. R.’); ‘Liberty of Conscience,’ 1672 (‘Philip Roti’). Norbert Roettiers, John's third son, assisted his father after Philip's departure from England. John, Joseph, and Philip Roettiers appear to have originally received an annual allowance of 325l. divided between them. On 7 April 1669 they were granted by warrant a yearly pension of 450l. (i.e. 150l. each). John continued to receive the 450l. after his brothers had left the mint, but he had to petition more than once for arrears of payment.

John Roettiers produced the official coronation medals of James II (1685) and William and Mary (1689), but he was not actively employed after the death of Charles II. In January 1696–7 it was discovered that dies for coins of Charles II and James II had been abstracted by labourers at the mint, and had been handed over by them to coiners in the Fleet prison, who used the dies for striking ‘guineas’ of James II on gilded blanks of copper. A committee of the House of Commons reported on 2 Feb. 1696–7 that John Roettiers, who occupied ‘the graver's house’ at the Tower, was responsible for the custody of the dies, and was an unfit custodian, inasmuch as he was a violent papist, and ‘will not nor ever did own the king [William III], or do any one thing as a graver since the revolution.’ Roettiers appears to have been removed from his office about this time, and to have taken up his residence in Red Lion Square, London. In his later years he suffered from the stone and from ‘a lameness in his right hand.’ He died in 1703, and was buried in the Tower.

John Roettiers was one of the best engravers ever employed at the English mint. Evelyn (Diary, 20 July 1678) refers to him as ‘that excellent graver … who emulates even the ancients in both metal and stone;’ and Pepys (Diary, 26 March 1666), who visited Roettiers at the Tower, declares that he there saw ‘some of the finest pieces of work, in embossed work, that ever I did see in my life, for fineness and smallness of the images thereon.’ On 11 Oct. 1687 Henry Slingsby (ex-master of the mint) offered Pepys his collection of Roettiers's medals. The ‘Great Britannia’ (‘Felicitas Britanniæ’) was valued by Slingsby at 4l. 10s., and the other medals at sums from 10s. to 3l. 4s. apiece. The following is a list of Roettiers's principal medals, all of them made subsequent to the Restoration: 1. ‘Archbishop Laud.’ 2. ‘Giles Strangways.’ 3. ‘Memorial of Charles I;’ rev. hand holding crown. 4. ‘Landing of Charles II at Dover, 1660.’ 5. ‘Restoration,’ 1660, ‘Britanniæ.’ 6. ‘Restoration, Felicitas Britanniæ’ (the head said to be by Joseph Roettiers). 7. ‘Marriage of Charles II and Catharine,’ 1662, in silver and in gold—probably the ‘golden medal’ commemorated by Waller. 8. ‘Naval Reward,’ 1665 (‘Pro talibus ausis’). 9. ‘Duke of York, naval action, 1665.’ 10. ‘Proposed Commercial Treaty with Spain,’ 1666. 11. ‘Peace of Breda’ [1667] (‘Favente Deo,’ with figure of Britannia, a portrait of Mrs. Stuart, duchess of Richmond). 12. ‘Duke of Lauderdale,’ 1672. 13. ‘Nautical School Medal’ and ‘Mathematical Medal’ for Christ's Hospital, 1673. 14. ‘Sir Samuel Morland,’ 1681. 15. ‘Duke of Beaufort,’ 1682. 16. ‘Charles II,’ 1683 (?); rev. royal arms. 17. ‘Coronation Medals of James II,’ 1685. 18. ‘Coronation Medal of William and Mary,’ 1689. 19. Dies and puncheons for intended medals of the Duchesses of Richmond, Cleveland, Portsmouth, and Mazarin (1667?–1675).

John Roettiers's usual signature on medals is ‘J. R.’ in monogram. He also signs ROTI.; ROETTI; IAN. R.; JOAN. ROTI. Little is known of his work as a gem-cutter. Walpole (Anecdotes of Painting, ii. 187) mentions a cornelian seal by him with the heads of Mars and Venus. Many dies and puncheons executed by John Roettiers and his relatives were purchased from the Roettiers family by a Mr. Cox, and were by him sold in 1828 to Matthew Young, the coin dealer, who, after striking some impressions for sale, presented them in 1829 to the British Museum.

John Roettiers married, in 1658, Catherine Prost, by whom he had five daughters and three sons: John (b. 1661?), James [q. v.], and Norbert [q. v.] John Roettiers (the younger), unlike his two brothers, does not appear to have been a medallist. The committee of the House of Commons concerning the abstraction of the dies reported (2 Feb. 1696–7) that this younger John was suspected of participation in the conspiracy of Rookwood and Bernado, ‘the assassinators,’ ‘having at that time provided himself of horses and arms at his own house in Essex, where he entertained very ill company, to the great terror of the neighbourhood.’ A warrant for high treason was out against him, ‘but he is fled from justice’ [see under Rookwood, Ambrose].

[The principal authority for the life of John Roettiers and for the complicated history of the Roettiers family is Burn's Memoir of the Roettiers in the Numismatic Chronicle, iii. 158 sq. See also Numismatic Chronicle, ii. 199, iii. 56; Hawkins's Medallic Illustrations, ed. Franks and Grueber; Advielle's Notices sur les Roettiers in the Report of the Réunion des Sociétés des Beaux-Arts, May 1888 (Paris, 1888); Jouin and Mazerolle, Les Roettiers (Mâcon, 1894); Guiffrey in Revue Numismatique, 1889, 1891; Revue belge de Numismatique, 1895, pp. 282 f.; Walpole's Anecd. of Painting, ed. Wornum; Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1661–9; Cal. Treasury Papers, 1695–1702.]

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »
Alex

I am afraid you have set the bar too high with your purchase. It is a masterpiece.

I debated and debated on this back in October. In retrospect, I should have made a try at it. There is something sublime about the reverse that drew me to it. It sold for about $4k US.......pretty much the upper limit for me these days.

England. Charles II. 1660-1685. Medal (Silver, 64mm, 95.89 g 6), the ‘Gigantomachia’ Medal on the Restoration of Charles II, London, by George Bower, 1660. CAROLVS.II.DIE GRATIA. MAG.BR.FRA.ET.HIB.REX Bare-headed bust of Charles II to left, wearing Mantle and Collar with St. George of the Order of the Garter. Rev. Jupiter, riding eagle to left among clouds, hurling thunderbolts at prostrate giants lying all over a desolate landscape; on rock below fallen giant to left, G.Bower.F. . Eimer 213. Medallic Illustrations I, 458, 50. Very rare. An impressive medal, probably Bower’s finest work. Nicely toned. A few minor marks, extremely fine. Ex Spink NCirc CVII/7, September 1999, 3673.
This is a rather restrained and elegant medal, bearing a particularly fine portrait of Charles II, as well as a curiously somber reverse, littered with the dead bodies of giants who symbolize the King’s enemies (probably the so-called Regicides). The medallist who designed this piece, George Bower, worked in London from 1650 to 1689, and died in 1690: this was his finest medal.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 05:18:53 am »
Hi Mark

Very nice medal you have there too, George Bower being another celebrated engraver from the period. The reverse is very modernistic isn't it? Macabre too!

Sometimes its hard to imagine people in the 'old days' producing such work, though it is a reminder that not much changes over time.

Thanks for posting, I am tempted to put up the Briot medal at CNG...its a stunning piece with interesting prov. Then work my way through a few celebrated engravers of the period.

Brgds

Alex

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:26:28 pm »
The medallist who designed this piece, George Bower, worked in London from 1650 to 1689, and died in 1690: this was his finest medal.

George Bower was also responsible for the design of the jugate portraits on the coinage of William and Mary.

Alex.

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:18:06 pm »
Well this is early 19th century but it's mine.

I liked the reverse.

1820 France - “NAISSANCE DU DUC DE BORDEAUX” by Paul Joseph Raymond Gayrard (signed: GAYRARD. F.). Bronze medal issued by public subscription (on the initiative of Chateaubriand) commemorating the birth of the duc de Bordeaux.  Obverse: the duchess of Berry half semi reclined on couch is brandishing her newborn naked child. Bust of her husband right (assassinated in 1820 - DIEU NOUS L'A DONNÉ (God gave him to us). Obverse exergue: NOS COEURS ET NOS BRAS SONT A LUI (our hearts and arms are for him).  Reverse: the archangel St Michel defeating the devil - 29 SEPT 1820 (the birth-date (feast of St. Michael) 38.3mm 34.3gm

Raymond Gayrard (1777-1858) was a French sculptor and medallist.

He trained in Paris as a goldsmith with Jean Baptiste Claude Odiot before turning to the engraving of medals. About 1808 he joined the workshop of the gem-engraver and medallist Romain-Vincent Jeuffroy. In 1819 he showed his first work of sculpture, a marble statue in neo-classical style of Cupid Testing his Arrows at the Paris Salon.

In 1823 he became medal-engraver to Charles X, and he remained a prolific engraver of commemorative and portrait medallions throughout his life. In 1829 he received an official commission for two seated marble statues representing the Power of the Law and Universal Suffrage for the courtyard of the Chambre des Députés, Palais Bourbon, Paris; these ponderous and academic works were not put in place until 1860.

Gayrard was largely excluded from major state commissions during the July Monarchy (1830–48) because of his pro-Bourbon sympathies. Instead, he began to devote himself to religious statuary and funerary monuments in a neo-classical style; among these works is the tomb of his friend Denis-Antoine-Luc Frayssinous, minister of ecclesiastical affairs under Charles X (marble, 1844; St Geniez, Aveyron, parish church). He was also a portraitist, and produced several busts and medallions of private clients (examples in Rodez, Mus. Fénaille), as well as small-scale groups of children and animals with moralizing themes, as in Child, Dog and Serpent. Under the Second Empire (1851–70) Gayrard was much in demand as a medallist, but he received only one official commission, a bust of Napoleon III (marble, 1854; Paris, Acad. N. Médec.).

BR

Mark

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:32:12 pm »
And this new acquisition

British Historical Medals, George I and James III, The South Sea Bubble (Appeal against the House of Hannover), Silver Medal (50 mm, 51 gm.) 1721, by O. Hamerani EF Rare

Obv: VNICA SALVS, Bust of the Pretender James III right,
Rev: QVID GRAVIVS CAPTA, Britannia seated weeps as the Horse of Hanover tramples on the Lion and Unicorn, behind a family escape with a few possessions, view of the City of London in the distance

Eimer 493. A few small marks, some patches of dark toning, otherwise EF. Rare and important.

James Francis Edward Stuart (1688-1766) was the son of James II, king of England. He titled himself James III of England (hence, the Elder Pretender) and James VIII of Scotland and spent a good deal of his life attempting to regain control of England back to Catholic rulers from the Protestant and foreign Hanoverians. The establishment of German Hanoverian rulers to the British throne was due entirely to the 1701 Act of Settlement which decreed that a Protestant must follow Queen Anne to the throne. Although a distant relative, George Louis, Elector of Hanover, became king of England because he was the first Protestant in line to the throne. Encouraged by the French king, Louis XIV, James Stuart staged a series of rebellions (the Jacobite Rebellions) against George I, the Hanoverian king of England, each of which ended in failure.

This medal (which is sometimes called The South Sea Bubble, and has also been attributed to Ermenegildo Hamerani) was intended for distribution among the Jacobites and was executed when great efforts were being made secretly to raise troops and supply arms to insurgents in Britain so that another effort might be made to place the Stuarts back on the throne of Britain. The omission of the Prince's name on the medal was intended to increase the interest of his cause. The Jacobites believed that the Lion and the Unicorn were symbols of the Stuarts only, and their treatment on the reverse of this medal was calculated to "fan the flame of indignation against the House of Hanover". (Sanda Lipton web site)

BR

Mark

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 01:20:44 am »
Thanks for posting Mark, great medals both.

I particularly like the English piece with its cityscape of London. This must be the city relatively fresh after its rebuild post 1666, due to the Fire of London. I can spot London Bridge, St Paul's Cathedral, various spires of famous churches, all lovingly recreated. A great piece. Do you intend a theme to collect or just go with the flow?

Brgds

Alex

nb. Here is the Briot I have mentioned earlier. Its on this site elsewhere but this is a worthy place too! The POA is a bit of a distraction obviously!:

STUART. Charles I. 1625-1649. Gold Medal (60mm, 79.05 g, 12h). Dominion of the Seas. Original; cast and chased by Nicolas Briot in London. 1639. CAROLVS · I · D : G · MAG · BRITANN · FRAN · ET · HIB · REX · (lozenge and double lozenge stops), Bare-headed bust of Charles I to right, his hair long and with ‘lovelock’ on his left shoulder, wearing a decorated cuirass with the plain collar of his shirt falling over it, and the St. George of the Order of the Garter suspended on a ribbon from his neck; on shoulder truncation, 1639 (barely visible); behind near the edge, BRIOT / NEC · META · MIHI · QVÆ · TERMINVS · ORBI · (Nor is a limit to me that which is a boundary to the world), War ship sailing to right, under full sail and with sailors on deck and in the rigging; on the left, seashore with fortress. Cf. MI 285/97 (unlisted in gold and with date on truncation of shoulder); Eimer 136a corr. (no date on truncation of shoulder in gold); P. C. Godman, Itchingfield, Sussex Archaeological Collections Relating to the History and Antiquities of the County 41 (1898), pp. 95-158, and especially pp. 118 ff. and pl. 7 (facing p. 118, this medal); Jones 174 (in silver). EF, Beautifully toned and impressive. Some traces of suspension marks. Unique and of the greatest historical importance. This medal was the personal property of King Charles I and was given, as a keepsake, to Bishop William Juxon during the last few weeks of the King’s life. It has passed by bequest and descent until 2010.

Made for Charles I by N. Briot in 1639 and kept by the King until he gave it to Bishop Juxon in 1649; from Juxon as a gift to his niece Elizabeth Merlott c. 1649, by descent in the Merlott family to Charles Merlott Chitty in 1815, then by descent from him to William Ffarington Chitty in 1867, who, in turn, left it to Percy Sanden Godman in 1878, by descent within the Godman family until 2010, from whom it was loaned for display in the Pepys Library of Magdalene College, Cambridge (1986-2009).

Given its history and associations, this is the most important of all existing British medals and a relic of the Church of England.

Nicolas Briot had become chief engraver at the Paris mint in 1606, but left for England in 1625, in part after a dispute with Guillaume Dupré. He went to London where he worked as a doctor; at some point he was introduced to Charles I and, after producing some splendid work (including the first version of this medal, MI 256/40-41 of 1630) he was appointed chief engraver at the Royal Mint from 1633 to 1645.

Early in his reign, Charles had re-claimed the title ‘Sovereign of the Seas’, an ancient title associated with the kings of Britain since King Edgar in 904 A.D. The 1630 medal had been struck as propaganda in the face of foreign naval incursions into waters claimed by Britain; soon Charles ordered that shipping in the Channel be taxed. In 1634, he imposed yet another tax over the entire kingdom, “Ship Money”, hitherto only used in war time and with Parliamentary consent; this infuriated many and was one of the causes of the Civil War. At that time the British fleet was very much outclassed by the Dutch; in 1639 a Spanish fleet under Admiral Oquendo was forced to take refuge in British waters in the face of a Dutch force under Maarten Tromp. Although at the ensuing Battle of The Downs on 31 October 1639 the British sailed out to aid the Spanish, the Dutch were overwhelmingly victorious.

This was the context in which the present medal was made. The reverse is a reiteration of that from the 1630 medal, but the portrait on the obverse has been updated, showing a slightly thinner Charles with longer hair, his elaborate ruff replaced by a more understated soft collar. The timing of this medal’s production, so soon after the British embarrassment at the Battle of the Downs, suggests that it was produced specifically for Charles in order to assure him that, despite the evidence to the contrary, he still held control of the seas by virtue of his ancient title. The unique gold version was for the King himself (it is also known in silver and bronze), and it was evidently mounted for him to wear on a ribbon.

William Juxon (1582-1663), the man to whom Charles gave this medal, was quite a brilliant churchman who had advanced rapidly, becoming Bishop of London in 1633. In 1636 he was also given the joint position of Lord High Treasurer and First Lord of the Admiralty. He resigned his secular positions in 1641 but remained close to Charles and was with him as his spiritual advisor during his final imprisonment and execution.

At some point in the last weeks of his life the King presented this medal to Juxon, who carried it away and carefully preserved it; during the same period the King gave away a number of his other personal possessions to other people who were close to him. Out of fear of Royalist plots, all the items that were given to Juxon by the King on the way to the scaffold were confiscated; Parliament also removed him from the bishopric of London. He retired to the country until the Restoration in 1660 when he was recalled by Charles II and made Archbishop of Canterbury; he soon fell ill and died in 1663.

Juxon never married and either gave away or left all his possessions to members of his family and public institutions. The present medal was given to his niece, Elizabeth Osborne, on the occasion of her wedding in June 1649 to William Merlott in Chichester; it has an unbroken pedigree from that day to now.

The English Civil War had religious as well as political motivations. The heavily Puritan Parliamentarians believed that Charles’ various religious reforms were bringing the Church of England too close to Catholicism, and the transcripts and letters from the periods of Charles’ captivity during the war show that religious issues were a key part of the negotiations between the two sides. Ultimately, Charles refused to abolish the ecclesiastical role of bishops, and his insistence on this aspect of church hierarchy led in part to his execution on the 30th of January 1649. Almost from the moment of his death Charles was revered as a martyr for the Anglican faith, prompting scores of pious poems as well as a trade in his relics. Upon the accession of Charles II in 1660, a commemoration of Charles ‘King and Martyr’ on 30 January was inserted into the liturgical calendar, initially to prompt the people of England to repentance for the regicide and avert divine wrath. The feast was eventually removed from the calendar in 1859. To this day, Charles I is still the only ‘saint’ created by the Anglican Church since the schism with Rome under the Tudors.

This is the second medal to be associated with Juxon and the last days of Charles I. The other piece is a pattern 5 unite piece by Abraham Vanderdoort (though long thought to have been by Thomas Rawlins), which Juxon gave to another of his nieces, Frances Fisher (née Juxon) on the occasion of her marriage. After a long history, with a first mention in a will of 1751, that piece passed to Hyman Montagu. His sudden death in 1895 resulted in the sale of his collection and the coin came up at Sotheby’s, in the third Montagu auction (13-20 November 1896, lot 352) where it was sold to Spink for £770, at the time the highest price ever paid for a coin in Britain; it then went by private treaty to the British Museum.

The present medal, with its unbroken chain of ownership running from its maker, Nicolas Briot, to Charles I, then to William Juxon and on to today, makes this the single most important medal in the British series.

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:14 am »
Thanks Alex.

And thanks for your assistance as I tried to decide between a couple medals.

I chose the Hamerani medal because the reverse scene, spread across a 50mm canvas, was too appealing. The added historic significance was a bonus. While the obverse is the weak side, it is of less importance to me, because I intend to display the reverse. I do like the early London cityscape. I have stood in a similar vantage point on my visits to London......to see a 300 year old view from the same place makes the landscape more personal.........for me.

The French Gayrard was chosen based on the reverse. I love these archetypal images. It cost less than a modest dinner for two, and in such nice condition, it was a no brainer for me.  The silver Hamerani, cost no more than my Thracian Tets, so once again, very affordable. The detail and quality of engraving on some of these medals is stunning and can't be found on any coins I have seen...........they are art of the highest order.

As with my coins and other antiques I can't really focus on one area, I prefer variety. I get bored otherwise. I look for something visually appealing and/or of historic interest...........

As for the Briot you highlighted below...........well those things are too nice for the likes of me. It's the equivalent of an Eid Mar denarius.........desirable but beyond my means (POA..........) It is quite a stunning piece of work. Worthy of a museum.

Of course your medal is certainly museum quality.........

BR

Mark

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:31 pm »
Alex

Finally took a photo of the coin in natural light outdoors. Makes all the difference.

BR

Mark

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »
Hi Mark

Thanks for the additional pictures, a great piece!

Alex

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 10:40:56 am »
Splendid idea for a thread. That is a magnificient Charles II you have AlexB, simply stunning. Here is the gem of my medal collection:

Larger picture here
Louis XIV of France. 1672, Prise de douze villes en Hollande
Obv. Draped and cuirassed bust right LVD MAG FRA ET NAV REX PP, CHERON on bust truncation.
Rev. The King in the guise of Sol, radiating light, seated right in a heavenly chariot pulled by three horses, surrounded by clouds. Around are aerlia views of twelve towns and forts captured in Holland SOLIS QVE LABORES on scroll above central design, the names of all twelve towns/forts around.

AE63. Engraved by Charles Jean Francois Cheron. ORIGINAL STRIKE, very rare.

Charles Jean Francois Cheron (1635-1698), one of the most distinguished artists of the school of Jean Warin, was born at Nancy and was trained by his father, Jean-Charles Cheron, engraver to Charles IV, Duke of Lorraine. Cheron went to Rome and became engraver of medals for Clement IX and Innocent X. Cheron's style in his Roman medals is of remarkable boldness, and his medals of Pope Clement IX and of Bernini are grandiloquent and among the finest Italian medals of the period. He returned to France in 1675 and was employed by Louis XIV at the Medal Mint at Paris for about twelve years, where he contributed several medals to the medallic series of the monarch, the Histoire Metallique. His medals are considered to be in an international baroque style.
                                                                                                     LordBest. 8)

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 06:21:57 am »
Hi LB

Thanks for sharing the medal, what a great piece.

Poor old Holland, you quite often see these pieces where one side or the other shows the forts/towns they have captured - siege warfare seems to be the order of the day. The design of the Star Forts (?) is also of interest in itself, given that these were considered the most advanced 'castles' ever built, a golden age for them.

I like the design, quality of engraving, and the colour very much.

Again, thanks for showing here.

Brgds

Alex

ivan

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:40 am »
Hello. I have this medal and I don't know what it is. It is a silver medal, diameter 37 mm, weight 19,75 g. Could you help me to identify it?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:33 am »
It says who it is right next to the portrait!
Andreas Reich

ivan

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 11:42:22 am »
Thank you for your answer but is was not what I expected, I could read it by myself. I just wanted to know some more things about the history this medal if somebody knows. Best regards, Diana.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:38:18 am »
Hi

Well this is your man illustrated from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_IV,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

The medal however is not C13th. I don't know exactly when it was produced but my guess would be C19th commemorative issue from Germany.

Hope this helps.

Brgds

Alex

Offline WelfIV

• Consul
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 01:23:46 pm »

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 06:07:08 pm »

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 06:55:10 am »
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 06:22:39 am »

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 12:36:40 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity