Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 05:46:08 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Your best steal. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your best steal.  (Read 4851 times)
benito
Caesar

quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra

« on: January 07, 2012, 02:29:55 pm »

Show the coin that in your opinion has cost you less. In relation to what should be considered a " normal" price.

Mat
Caesar

Ancient Coin Addict

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »

I have several but the standout is probably my L. Rubrius Dossenus , $44 shipped, was mis-typed Grin

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68411

MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients
Syltorian
Consul

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:33:49 pm »

Nice Dossenus!

My Clodius Turrinus (http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-62060) is a subaeratus of a rather common type, though one that seems to be pricey occasionally because it falls into such an interesting time of Roman history (42 B.C.). The obverse has suffered a lot and is rather ugly, but the reverse isn't too bad, still recognizable with a reasonable amount of silver left. What I'm mostly amused by is that, at €3,50, it was cheaper than the postage. Grin I'm not sure about the "in relation to what should be considered a normal price" since that's even more speculative with fourrés than with regular coins, but it certainly is the cheapest RR coin in my possession (and the only one for which postage more than doubled the price).

rick2
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »

found this morning in a junk box for 1$

here s a similar one but in lower grade

http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=548757

i try to do this every week.......

as my friend benito likes spanish coins i wont mention the two fernando and isabella maravedis specially issued around 1502-03 for use in santo domingo I found a while ago in another junk box or a couple of Philip II blancas unlisted in the spanish catalogue.....

orbis non sufficit

taliban of rare and worn coins
condition is not everything , rarity is also important!
Masis
Caesar

Constantine IV

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »

Well, after learning about the Parthian coin I bought over three years ago, for under £40 and learning that it is genuine, and similar types sell for a lot more.
To me that is a good steal.

http://www.acsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=34182

"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE
BiancasDad
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »

Saw an ad on Craigslist of all places for 3 ancient coins.

I invited this young gentlemen to come by my store and I would consider buying the coins. He had moved from Alaska and had bought the coins in Florida several years earlier and now they were being offered to me on the west coast. Quite a journey for this coin to end up in my collection.

My only Greek coin. Strictly bought because I felt it was a genuine coin at a "steal" of a price. Plus, who can resist looking at a Gorgoneion. I get the same look from my wife every time I buy another coin.

Anyways, paid $75 US for the coin.

-Kurt

Parion of Mysia - AR Hemidrachm - BMC 23

Lloyd Taylor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 07:25:24 pm »

My steal.... http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-12754    Cool
Will Hooton
Comitia Curiata II
Caesar

SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:54 am »

Hold on tight to that one! Silver bullion values might take off this year. Although I personally prefer American silver eagles to the Greek silver owls. Grin

benito
Caesar

quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:03:01 am »

Rick2. benito likes all types of coins but as he is no Gulbenkian or Brand he only collects Roman.
But he has made good business buying Spanish colonial coins while in America. Not the "easy" mints of Mexico, Lima or Potosi ,but "rarer"ones like Santiago or Guatemala..
In fact part of my collection  was made with the proceeds of the sale of a 8 reales Fernando VI(1758) Santiago mint .
But I've managed better steals. Will be back.

Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:03:37 am »

I will mention two silver coins, because no-one on list except me recognises bargains in bronzes, but we all understand Roman silver.

First is a half-victoriatus, sold as being a (very common) victoriatus, and with the main sale picture illustrating only the obverse which indeed looks like a victoriatus. Less than 10 examples known to exist. It cost me less than 10% of the price it should ($100 rather than $1000+)

Second, a corn-ear and brace (mechanical drill) denarius, sold as an "anonymous" denarius. Again less than 10 examples known to exist. Again it cost me less than 10% of the price it should ($250 rather than $2500+).

In the case of the latter coin, the day it arrived in the post I got a phone call from the seller offering to immediately buy it back at double the price I paid for it. I knew of course that double the price was still a small fraction of its value (thousands of dollars), and declined of course.

Philoromaos
Caesar

NVNC EST BIBENDVM

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:05:55 am »

Picked this one up in York last year for £125. There is a die matched example that sold at auction for over $2700.

http://www.acsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=54829

I don't think I'll ever find a bargain like that again any time soon.

Minos
Caesar

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:00 am »

I've made some good deals over time. One of my best was for this coin that I previously paid about 230$ (still, would have rather kept it in retrospective Sad ).

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=278369

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:00:43 pm »

$49, about £25 at the time. It took me a long time to find one with VBERITAS spelt correctly!

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »

Not surprisingly, they are indeed quite rare.

Lars

Belisarius
Consul

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:07:17 am »

Nothing compared to yours, but I got a coin of Kallatis in a bunch of 5 uncleaned (£2.50), and Forvm has several listed (like the one below) for between $70-95!

"...horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae!"
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:
www.forumancientcoins.com/
Fides
Praetorian

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »

For £30 (c.$40) I picked this Galba denarius up. The gouges brought the price down; Sear says that a VF costs about £400. In my opinion, someone's decision in antiquity to gouge at the face of a defeated emperor only adds to the coin's interest and historical value.
Steff V
Praetorian

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »

€28,50 is not much, in my opinion.

I bought it on ebay from a german coindealer. He had several drachmes and they all went higher (but they were in better condition).

My blog about coins of Alexander III and successors: http://alexandercoins.steffvc.com
byzcoll
Caesar

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 04:15:05 am »

Hi,

I bought this rare solidus of Mauricius Tiberius, Rome mint, Sear 584 (no price, rated "extremely rare") from a professional dealer via ebay. It was misplaced to the mint of Constantinople and I got the hammer at EUR 350.

Compare to this example from the same reverse die and in a bit better condition: http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=524468

I guess I got a good deal.

byzcoll
SPQR Matt
Caesar

Quid, me anxius sum?

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 10:29:15 am »

I picked this Vespasian up on eBay about a year ago for $27.  It is RIC 108 with the scarce left facing bust.  My high bid was $80 so you can imagine my surprise when I won it at a fraction of that price.  It saw a good deal of use back in its day but the scarity makes up for it.  I attribute the good deal to low quality pictures provided by the seller.

maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis 2008
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »

99%+ of collectors would overlook this as being of no interest. It is an eastern denarius of Septimius Severus and comes from a die with an unusual obverse legend variation:-

"IMP CA L SE SEV PER AG COS II"

The reverse is quite a scarce one too "Fortuna standing left, holding long sceptre & cornucopia".

The seller identified it as a modern fake and I paid US $4 including shipping from the States to the UK.

Martin
David Atherton
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 10:02:13 pm »

Quote from: Caesar's Ghost on February 11, 2012, 10:29:15 am
I picked this Vespasian up on eBay about a year ago for $27.  It is RIC 108 with the scarce left facing bust.  My high bid was $80 so you can imagine my surprise when I won it at a fraction of that price.  It saw a good deal of use back in its day but the scarity makes up for it.  I attribute the good deal to low quality pictures provided by the seller.

For about every ten right facing portraits one left facing portraits were minted, so indeed a good price!

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Your best steal. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop