Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3 Thassos Tetradrachms, probably barbarous imitations?  (Read 1966 times)

Rockster

3 Thassos Tetradrachms, probably barbarous imitations?
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:54:52 pm »
 Hi all,

I joined this forum in the hope of gleaning some expertee's from your good selves regarding 3 coins I have.

I think they are imitations but whether or not they are old or modern I just don't know?

(Rockster, I have combined the photos for you for easier viewing. - Dino, Moderator(

(click on the photos for a larger view of each coin)

Rockster

Re: 3 Thassos Tetradrachms, probably barbarous imitations?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »
 Any info regarding these coins will be very much apreesh.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:53:16 am »
I see nothing to make me think they aren't authentic....i.e. ancient. 

As to whenther or not they're ancient/contemporary imitations, I can't really comment.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:22:56 am »
All three seem ancient of what I would call the "secondary" issues.  The primary issues were of finer style.  These are of lesser style but correct legends and types.  Current theory is that they were struck by or for Roman authorities for use in the frequent Thracian wars during the first century B.C.  These wars included wars against Thracian tribes as well as against Mithradates VI of Pontus

These are quite decent specimens or a very interesting coinage.

Mac

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:07:40 am »
The style of the first one is actually quite nice.

Rockster

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:22:41 am »

Many thanks for the information guys but may I be so vulgar as to ask of their probable worth?

I bought these coins 10 years ago for £125 each but don't imagine that they will be now worth much more but have to sell them due to financial pressure.

I have many other coins and artifacts but they are mainly Roman and Celtic as I metal detect in the UK.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:02:21 pm »
Shoot an email to Joe Sermarini, who runs this website and is a coin dealer to see if he's interested in consiging any coins or artifacts you want to sell.

taurisker

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:12:52 pm »
All three coins are celtic imitations of the type Thasos. Looking at the style (portrait of Dyonysos, Herakles, legends) all of them are early examples ca. middle of the 2nd cent. BC. Ref. for them is Goebl OTA class I-II.

You got them for £125 each? Well, for that quality this was good purchase. Why do you want to give them away?

Best regards
taurisker

All coins are guaranteed for eternity