Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philipus: adventus augg  (Read 1162 times)

Offline mike1987

• Praetorian
Philipus: adventus augg
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
I just bought an antonianus from Philipus with the emperor on horseback. The reverse legend says ADVENTVS AVGG, which means the arrival of the emperors? For what occasion is it struck or does it have another meaning?

Thx in advance  :laugh:

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Philipus: adventus augg
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:45:18 pm »
In my reconstruction of Philip's coinage, ADVENTVS AVGG and the three types LIBERALITAS AVGG II, SECVRIT ORBIS, and P M TR P II COS P P (emp. seated on curule chair) make up his Issue 2, which began fairly early in 245 and ended on or before the beginning of his third tribunician year on 10 December 245.

ADVENTVS AVGG clearly refers to the emperors' return from the East to Rome, on which occasion they evidently distributed their second largesse to the people of Rome (LIBERALITAS AVGG II). The coins therefore suggest that this return only took place early in 245, not in the course of 244, as historians have too hastily deduced from the much less conclusive evidence of an inscription set up in Rome in July 244!
Curtis Clay

Offline mike1987

• Praetorian
Re: Philipus: adventus augg
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:00:38 pm »
Great awnser! Thx

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
Philip Jr. was Caesar from 244 to 247, then he was raised to the rank of Augustus. But the legends like "Liberalitas Augg. II" or "Adventus Augg." appear on coins minted while Philip Jr. was still Caesar. Why are there 2 G? Why the dual or the plural? There was only one Augustus, then. Is it because of Otacilia, who was Augusta?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »
The language evolved: it became OK to refer to an emperor and a Caesar together as Augusti, though if you preferred you could still say AVG ET CAES!

The first indubitable example: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM on a rare sestertius of Maximinus Thrax, BMC 183, pl. 39, referring to Maximinus the Augustus and his son Maximus Caesar, who never became Augustus. The type itself even clearly distinguishes their rank: Maximinus is laureate, but Maximus bare-headed.

Another possible example: SALVTI AVGG and VICT AVGG COS II P P on coins of Septimius Severus as IMP X in late 197/early 198, a little before he made Caracalla his co-Augustus. Caracalla did, however, already have the title "Imperator Destinatus".

A related phenomenon: provincial coins begin to call successors not just Caesar, but Caesar Augustus, KAICAP CEBACTOC. So on Alexandrian coins from Diadumenian on, and in papyri from Geta on: see Vogt, Alexandrinische Münzen, p. 174.

You're not alone, however, in finding AVGG strange for Philip I in 245: that word made Pink misdate the type to 247, after Philip II became Augustus, referring it to the emperors' return to Rome from their Danubian campaign!

Curtis Clay

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:18:06 am »
OK thanks. I noticed also that epigraphic abbreviations evolved in the late IIIrd C. : after approx. 280 AD there were as many G as there were co-Augusti. AVGG meant 2 Augusti, AVGGG meant 3 Augusti. There are even tetrarchic inscriptions starting with DDDD NNNN.

Offline mike1987

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »
hehe thx for asking about and responding to another question I was wondering about!  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity