Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Carausius AVGGG, a new variety 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carausius AVGGG, a new variety  (Read 613 times)
mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« on: February 02, 2012, 01:55:56 pm »

Hi,

I've just added the coin at the bottom to my collection and it appears to be a new addition to my listing of the three emperor coins of Carausius.

Although the dealer image is poor the coin is clearer in hand.

IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG
Radiate, cuirassed bust right
PROVID AVGGG
Providentia standing left with baton over globe and holding cornucopia
S/P//C

It has been over two years since I first published my catalogue of the three emperor coins (updating Carson's catalogue in the 1981 Naster festschrift), available for download here:
http://www.carausius.hookmoor.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Bourne-Article-from-Editorial-Dec-09.pdf

I now have over twenty additional varieties and a supplement is close to publication. Can I take this oportunity to solicit any last minute additions to that listing please.

Regards,

Mauseus

Adrianus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:50:54 pm »

Hi Mauseus,

Saw this one for sale. Thought you would get it Wink

A good addition - I looked at your list and noted the PF AVG legend wasn't there.

Regards,

Adrianus
mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:13:47 am »

Hi,

When we grab a beer in a couple of weeks I must let you have my composite list with the new stuff (plus my parked listing of Rouen as well as the tentative S/P & S/C work).

Regards,

Mauseus

mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:55 am »

Hi,

Have now had the chance to photograph the coin and add it to my Carausius gallery.

Carausius 287-93AD, in the name of Maximianus
Antoninianus
Obv “IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS PF AVG”
Radiate and cuirassed bust right
Rev “PROVID AVGGG
Providentia standing left with cornucopia and baton over globe
Camulodunum mint
S/P//C
RIC - (cf 49); Carson -; Bourne (2009) -

Regards,

Mauseus

Adrianus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:29:24 am »

An obverse die-link to my specimen with a PAX AVGGG reverse which mauseus illustrates in his first Numismatic Circular article. Not surprising given the rarity of these coins.

Regards,

Adrianus
mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:59 am »

Hi Adrianus,

I'd forgotten that we'd talked about that possibility of the die link. Thanks for the post.

Regards,

Mauseus

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Carausius AVGGG, a new variety « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop